Ed's TnT Wooden Vapor Tubes & Vapor Stems

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
well hmm... The one I have you unscrew the top and there is that Oring that simply sits in there, it can be very loose until the top is screwed back tightly. There is that rubber right inside the top of the core to.

Ed's TnT,

hogleg

Yeah I added the loose one.The one that is inside the core (M107) sticks up more and is more thin and rigid adding a ring does not work

hogleg,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Don't say that hogleg - I have a M107 - hope they still work just as well - guess we'll know once someone tries one!

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
What will be the price for these Ed, and is it correct that these will fit the UD/HI as well?

OhTheAgony,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I was wondering the same thing OTA. In fact, I was just about to email Ed about using the same design for his vapor tubes.

momofthegoons,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Hmmm the ID of these is 11.45 mm, what is the OD of the HI and UD? Not sure on pricing just yet, should be comparable with what I already offer. SS machining costs will be a big factor of it.

Ed's TnT,

u bwade wunner

@ Mom and OTH

The beta solo stem that Ed shipped to Hoglleg and I fits the Hi perfectly without any modification.I increased the bore but there is no need to.
The stem slides over the heat port all the way to the screen in the stem.I have been using for a week now in the Hi with great results.Im not sure what size the heat port is on the UD so I cant answer that one sorry.

Alan the wizard from TT has created and shipped a SS stem to me for my Hi.I will post on the Hi thread when it arrives and Ive had a chance to test its performance.

Ed
The issue I see with these stems is the Stainless bowl is much to heavy. you need to reduce the bulkiness and gauge to as thin as possible.lighter and a quick cooldown time are very important.

the nature of the solo and the situations it can be used in opens up a whole new list of parameters.The biggest factor being stealth:spidey: .and you need to use it.
You dont have containers to throw a hot stem into for example.

its also important to be able to remove the stem and cap it between hits.That allows you to economise and carry less around with you.You don t have storage while walking maybe a small case or a jacket pocket.Quick cooldown time is a must for safety reasons.and Safety is becoming paramount in the retail market.part of my job is safety coordinater so im being critical and looking at all the issues with these stems.

The gauge of tubing I have looking at for the solo is similar to very light curtain rail tubing.it will bend or ding if squeezed but has excellent strength and is very durable and will cool down mega quick,survive a drop test etc.

there will be all sorts of complications waiting for cooldown with a heavier Stainless bowl.the bowl gets very hot and I have already burnt my fingers 20 seconds after I ve removed the stem.The very nature of a vaporizer stem doesn t allow for to cool down time before you cap it and pack it away say at a concert.you need when in public to use and pack away in a very short time frame.

I dont fancy putting a hot stem in to my jacket pocket either when its hot :doh: or on my car seat yikes. the use of these stems in a concert situation or in public doesn t allow for waiting around for cooldown.Very thin stainless should be pretty strong and easily survive a drop test on concrete.

Vape and Go buddy like spidey:spidey: but safely

u bwade wunner,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thanks Bwade. I believe the outer diameter of the UD and HI heater port are similar, so that should work :)

This means that you just happened to have made a stem that will fit 3 of my vapes as soon as my HI gets here Ed, so I probably should try one, haha. Do you do shorter and longer versions too?

OhTheAgony,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Great to hear that they fit the HI! I would agree that the ss should be as thin as possible though. If it doesn't cool down quickly, the herb would continue to "cook." I would think that if it could be the same thickness as the ss used in Alan's and Rick's tubes, it would be perfect. :2c:

momofthegoons,

u bwade wunner

If it doesn't cool down quickly, the herb would continue to "cook
that is so spot on could nt have said it better Mom

Do you do shorter and longer versions too?
If youre dry hitting I think youll need the full length .It just gets too hot otherwise.

I think but Ed will confirm the new solo tube has a larger iinternal diameter than the beta tube but it still should work fine.With a few inhouse modifications this could be Eds second multi stem after the mflb stem which also fits the iolite.

u bwade wunner,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I was thinking short ones for water & long ones for dry Bwade. Not that I do dry that often, but it's nice to have that option still.

OhTheAgony,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I spoke with Alan today a couple of times and found out that with the new design these will be wider than the HI, actually his roasting tubes will fit just within the SS I am running.

I feel ya on the heat issue Ubwade, the wall of the SS is 1.5mm, the wall of the glass tubes are from 1.65+ and the beta I sent ya the SS is 1" in length, the new design will only be 5/8" length so should lessen the amount of heat buildup. The beta you have is rather long and really thick, I can see it holding heat and being an issue.

Also wanna say that now that I am offering the Launch Box I wanna offer a one of a kind LB kit that is like none other out there. I am gonna be offering the LB kit with an Ed's African Blackwood standard long LB stem and an Ed's Shorty Blackwood LB Stem. These will only be offered with the purchase of an LB kit at www.edstnt.com These stems will not ever be available for purchase by anyone anywhere. I will get these off to the photographer first of the week for some shots to show how sweet a combo they will be.

Ed's TnT,

u bwade wunner

You re new flight box bundle kit sounds very exotic Ed.good luck.

I got thinking...the advantage of stainless steel bowl over the glass bowl is it can be made much thinner but a lot stronger

if a very thin stainless tube is used similar to the gauge of crz stems.the bowl will cool down quicker and allow you to pocket youre stem after a hit in seconds..stainless holds heat longer than glass so the bowl needs to be a lot thinner.A bigger bowl will also hold more material:tup: to vape.good if you are going out for a night.it also wont wear a hole in youre pocket after a few weeks.

I dont have the new stem here yet. but could you try something for me Ed?

Can you put the solo to preheat with the stem on setting 5 for 3 minutes. after 3 minutes pull the stem out and let me know how long before its safe to touch the stainless bowl.

oh and are the wall thicknesses of the stainless tube used to make your e crz stems and youre new solo stems the same?.

thanks Ed

u bwade wunner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Ubwade, Just got the finished piece yesterday. The fit is just right and tight, slips in well and seats snugly. Tubing is such a large OD as for the Solo is impossible to find manufactured. The SS I am using has to be turned and machined from a rather large piece of round stock. The SS that the CRZ uses is significantly smaller OD and can be found quite easily with a thin wall. It is too small for use in the Solo. I have been so busy lately finishing a MF order and trying to get out of stock dugouts back in stock. I am gonna turn a coco tube for the new design and run it through several tests this afternoon. I have spoken to my guy and we will be able to take the wall thickness from where its at now at just under 1.5mm to a solid 1mm. Am afraid that with such a thin wall the finish of the SS is not gonna be a nice as what I have posted earlier, or at least that is what my guy is telling me. I will give it the test you have posted above and let you know my findings tomorrow. My metal guy is so brilliant, he is finishing up a one of a kind golf club sizing and fitting machine, not exactly sire how it works but it is most definitely a one of a kind. He says that by hand a guy takes 3-5 minutes per club, his new machine will do 1 every 6 seconds. He is finishing up Tuesday and tells me it will be Wednesday before we can begin production on these. Am gonna give this new design hella testing these next few days and will post all the info as well as pics ASAP!

left to right, top to bottom - Amboyna Burl, Big Eye Afzelia Burl, Camphor Burl, Buckeye Burl
2012-04-19_13-28-46_714.jpg

u bwade wunner

thanks Ed.I think 1mm bowl will perform better than the earlier stem bowls.

for example

last night.I had serious trouble getting the solo to heat beyond setting 2 with the thicker beta stem you supplied in a ceramic m103.I set the solo to 4.the ceramic solo normally cranks up heat pretty quickly.

the solo with the beta stem reached heat setting 2 after 3 minutes and stayed on 2 and would nt rise above 2.

when I removed the stem from the heater after 3 minutes the solo heated within seconds.It was like before i removed the stem the stem bowl was acting like a heatsink and stealing heat.In the end I gave up. I just as usual wanted to vape and go.

1mm bowl wall thickness should mean significant less heat up time and hopefully the winning stem solution we are all looking for while we are on the go.it will be interesting to hear how testing goes.

beautiful wood by the way.

guess what?...I found my first burl today by accident on the beach.It was washed and lying in the sand a few feet from the tide line here on the sunshine coast.Its as light as a feather and is about 5 inch by 5 inch by 3inch.it looks like a cowpat:) when i got home and cut a small node off it and polished it with a belt sander.the grain is figured crazy.Pretty chuffed.it has been a great day all around.

It must be magical as a woodsmith to pick a burl piece to work on and not know what the results will be until you ve had a go at turning it down on a lathe.

where on earth do burls come from?.its a strange looking piece of wood no doubt .I ll upload a picture .Im sure you ll recognise it and have a better idea what it is

u bwade wunner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Ran the new Solo design through some testing last night. It fits really well, so well that the added Oring that Hogleg put in just above the core and under the top casing, I had to take out, no need for it. I put the heat setting on 7, it dropped to 6 when I inserted the tube but warmed right up to 7 quickly. I had a nice grind of herb, loaded it kinda loosely, no packing really, just topped off slightly with my finger like I would with a Zap stem. I really got some great hits from it, once it warmed up the hits were hearty and consistent. The SS did retain heat for a couplea three minutes before cooling down. I have found some high temp vinyl pull tab caps that can be slid over the end for quick storage. I believe I have it and will get my guy started on these middle of the week. He is just as busy as I am and my small order is peanuts to him am sure so hang in there with me. I feel like its gonna be a couple more weeks before they will be available. Here is some pics of the newest design and even a bloodwood tube. Its really dense and adds a nice contrast to the unit.

2012-04-21_17-08-29_852.jpg

2012-04-21_17-08-19_859.jpg

2012-04-21_17-08-02_987.jpg

GoGlass

Nice Pics Ed, this is probably the best option that we can add to ours Solos...(if we move a lot of course...)
Good luck for the finalization of these pieces !

GoGlass,
Top Bottom