Arizer Solo

vape4health

I see we have more and more people reporting the stink problem :(

I emailed Arizer to ask about heating the bottom portion of the unit to remove the smell/taste but Steve couldn't understand why I wanted to heat it, said the bottom was made to not get hot. Here is a portion of that email. From Steve at Arizer " I do not recommend heating your unit with a hair drier, as the unit is designed to avoid excess heat accumulation inside the unit. I am also having trouble understanding why you would want to heat up the outside of the unit? Can you please explain further? " In a reply I explained the smell and that other people that I let use the Solo smell and taste the exact thing I do along with multiple FC members, could maybe be uncured paint or something. That was on 10/18/11 and I have not got a reply yet.

After baking the bottom part I'm happy to report no more bad taste but I can still smell just a slight hint of it if I remove the metal cap and heat to 7. To bake the bottom I removed the " guts " of the unit like the breakdown from vaplexus, remove the 4 bottom screws then slide it all out. I'm not sure of warranty stuff but if they really will let us change out the battery ( I believe paka posted info about it, cant find it but I think he said 100 bucks to replace if you dont want to do it yourself, I could be wrong on this Ill look or email Arizer ) . Ok after removing all the plastic and electric parts from the aluminum shell I then put the metal cap back on to prevent warpage, thanks Vaped Ape for the tip on warping, so with both pieces together I put the unit in the oven @ 350F for 12 min then I opened the oven door with it still on for another 5 min then shut the oven off and left everything sit as is for around 40 min. After it was cool I wiped both outside and inside of the metal body with rubbing alcohol and a towel. I didnt notice any discoloration or marks from heating or the iso. Before I put everything back together I used a q-tip and iso to wipe of all the plastic stuff, all the little nooks and cracks that I could see without taking anything else apart, I didnt use iso around the heating parts I just wasn't too sure about it. It really helped with the taste, a lot. I have to try to smell it now to notice.

I also ordered some protected Ultrafire 4200mah batteries to try and replace the battery pack in my chipping unit, I don't really use it so I figure mess around with that one and if it breaks no real loss. I really hope they get this figured out because I truly love this little thing, yeah the battery could be bigger and it should come with a run from the wall pack and the smell and chipping and..... I can't say go out and get one because you shouldn't have to bake your vape but Im very very happy with mine now, and if the slimline pack and my 420 batts works I'll be real close to heaven.

I finally tried it with a tiny little bubbler about 4 inch tall, my first time with the solo and water filtration, on 6 I was getting some serious clouds, I'm now hooked. I used a 1 inch piece of silicone tubing on the end of a stem to get a tight seal in the cone of the bubbler and it worked perfect. Time for some new glass I guess.

vape4health,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Cool Stuff Vape4health. baking my cap certainly helped and I may try this next. The taste has improved and the smell has improved a lot but the taste and smell are issues that could be improved further still. no chipping yet on my m104-xxxx yet. No noise issues and a lot of big clouds.

ru_frothi,

w4m2k0

How unhealthy/unsafe Do you guys think the smell/taste issue is? It's too bad such a potentially perfect product is having such avoidable(I assume it's avoidable) problems. I'm really hoping my purchase of the solo wasn't 280$ down the drain. Has Anyone who has recently gotten the solo gotten a good one?:/

w4m2k0,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Errl said:
How many of you that are experiencing the smell issue heat your Solo with the plastic cap still covering the heating unit?

I don't have a solution for it, but that thing 100% for sure WREAKED after just ONE TIME of heating the Solo with the cap on.

I have NEVER done this. I was horrified of the plastic cap, so I never even put mine away with the cap on after, I'd always give it over half hour to cool. Mine stunk like a skunk. Both of mine.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
darebear999 said:
Damned shame though, because a proper working Solo does seem to be the perfect balance between a heavy hitting SSV and a ultimate conservative log type vape imo.

Agreed. While I've never tried the SSV I've owned a volcano, an iolite and a mflb. I tried the solo once (even with the smell/taste...wish me luck there) and could tell that it would be the almost perfect portable vape were it not for the intolerable smell/taste. I hope they get their act together and start representing soon.

I thought the solo was the hardest hitting vape I'd used up until I got my log vape. It hits harder than my solo which was a huge shock because they are known for being conservative (which they are) but no one ever talks about what a hard hitter they are! At least my 3/8" core underdog is a hard hitter. The solo hits hard, but with all of its other problems I had to sell it. Getting headaches from vaping is something I can't tolerate.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Vaped Ape said:
How I roll. SS Solo and Solo 1.0. I see no difference in how the 2 Solos perform stems withstanding. Notice the cap on the right that I stripped the finish off of and polished the alum back up.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/poboy427/Solo/HowIroll.jpg

Last snap shows the "V" cut in the lip of the bowl on the brown stem. Sorry pic is poor.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/poboy427/Solo/Vstem.jpg

Da Ape

Those stems have me fucking gagging man :uhoh: Clean that shit more often or vape the stem goo or something. Looks like you could grow some weed in the soil in there.

darkrom,

Errl

Huh, well there goes my theory. I'm really sorry again to here about all these problems you guys are having with your Solos.

Just throwing this out there but there are plenty of happy Solo users as well! Me being one of them!

And to the person talking about replacement batteries PLEASE let me know if you are successful in swapping! I would love to extend the life of my Solo if the option exists! What are the current specs of the stock battery?

Errl,

shane15

@PlanetVape Thanks for the help.

Finally pulled the trigger on a black solo of ebay on monday, hope to get it sometime this week (Canadain Resident). I have been a long time lurker of this form with great interest as I am an SSV(Nebula), PAMLB user in search of that vape for the in betwwen.

Looking forward into joing the discussion.

Happy Vape'n Everybody

shane15,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
@Darkrom

The short stem has 2 bowls thru it. The bent stem has about a 1/2 oz thru it. I plan to milk the bent stem when I get to it. Yes I vape good sticky herb. I do swab the first inch of the mouth piece with a Q tip daily and that is good enough for me.

But none the less, you are an insulting bastard and should make more of an effort to be kind and respectful.

Our general kindness, tolerance, and willingness to forgive is what separates most of the tokers from the other users of substance on the planet. Work on your tolerance a bit, gag if you may, but don't sweat the way I roll.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

Shane15

Welcome aboard. Let us know when you get your Solo. No smell issues with either of mine but maybe I am not as sensitive as some in that dept. Put a full charge on that bad boy. Run it on 7 for about 30 min to break it in and get after it. 5 seems to be the best place to start for most. Bad for the battery life to run the Solo all the way down. Mine are on a charger whenever I am not using one and batteries are as strong as the day I got them.

Give us your impressions later

Vaped Ape,

dorkus_molorkus

@ darkrom,

dude some of us use that oil & build up directly from the stem as a ghetto oil vape. It is clearly discussed a few pages back & I highly recommend it, very tasty.

Some of us will let that oil build up, then heat it & coax it out of the stem as straight oil, then do dabs of it for concentrate heaven.

Some of us soak our stems in an iso bath regularly & then reclaim the oil from that.

@ Da ape-

I love the way you roll dude. nice work on the stem info & piccies.

I cant believe some of you guys out there baking your solos and taking the little fuckers to bits.
pity you gotta do that shit to get the product you paid for and pity you gotta have balls as big as a house in order to do it. you lot are braver than me.

but then I am a home renovater and everything i touch is very cluseoesque. lol :D
comedy of errors me doing anything around the house, espec after too much solo action.

avagoodweegend
:peace:

dorkus_molorkus,

Vaped Ape

@Darkrom

Hey you should have followed me into some the whorehouses I got into when in the military service. You would have really gagged. When I got done with those dirty bitches the only clean spot on them were their nips.

I had a buddy that thought the girls with a hot box really loved him until he figured out that their extra warm box meant infection.

Lastly, I wiped my puss dripping fingers on a Navy guys shirt once because he was pushing when in line to get his. Served him right for pushing. Yes his sailor buddies gagged too. But he was too drunk to care.

So a stem with goo is chump shit.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

Vaped Ape

I don't want to say where and offend anyone. Just wanted to make Darkrom gag for real.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,
All Dark said was to the effect of "those stems look dirty, I think it's kind of gross." I don't think likely fictional stories involving the transmission and receipt of scorching VD is a proper response, not to mention one that could be seen as highly misogynistic.

"When I got done with those dirty bitches the only clean spot on them were their nips."

That's just a tad inappropriate given the tone of this forum, I think. I'm not trying to be the political correctness cop but try to keep it civil and on topic.

charliedontsurf,

dorkus_molorkus

''Those stems have me fucking gagging man Clean that shit more often or vape the stem goo or something. Looks like you could grow some weed in the soil in there.'' = "those stems look dirty, I think it's kind of gross."

really??

''That's just a tad inappropriate given the tone of this forum, I think. I'm not trying to be the political correctness cop but try to keep it civil and on topic.''- spot on, but its a 2 way street.

anyone who wants to tell me that rudely that my stems are gross & dirty & offends their delicate eye when I have taken the time to submit a pic with information that might help my fellow vaporists have a better vaping experience will recieve the same response from me that Da Ape giveth.

Perhaps something along the lines of whats posted above will be my response or STFU MYOB FFS, or I might not bother posting any more pics or info instead.

We all have different needs, Budgets & requirements & for different reasons. I respect every members right to medicate anyway they choose.

While i may not totally agree with vaped apes response in its entireity, I understand it.

so, please lets all chill, and show some fucking respect. :D

:2c:

dorkus_molorkus,

vape4life

Banned for life
I've been doing some comparisons between the ceramic and SS all night and i'm thinking the ceramic one runs hotter. On the exact same heat seating it seams to produce bigger thicker clouds and that is with using a 2 hole stem on both. It's not the airflow because another thing I have noticed tonight is the biggest factor on airflow is the glass stem. The 4 hole stems noticably increase airflow but result in a big more airy clouds. I actually prefer the 2 hole myself.

Other thing I noticed on the new SS solo is that the battery lights aren't programmed the same as my ceramic, they drop way faster. But also charge up fast, making me think there is more power left at 1 and 2.

vape4life,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Vaped Ape said:
@Darkrom

The short stem has 2 bowls thru it. The bent stem has about a 1/2 oz thru it. I plan to milk the bent stem when I get to it. Yes I vape good sticky herb. I do swab the first inch of the mouth piece with a Q tip daily and that is good enough for me.

But none the less, you are an insulting bastard and should make more of an effort to be kind and respectful.

Our general kindness, tolerance, and willingness to forgive is what separates most of the tokers from the other users of substance on the planet. Work on your tolerance a bit, gag if you may, but don't sweat the way I roll.

Da Ape

No disrespect was intended. Sorry if it came across that way. I didn't think you'd take me calling your stem filthy as anything personal, I'd just imagine it would taste funky. I'd never hit glass like that.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Ok apparently me half joking about some stems I'd call "chunky" is being taken too seriously. I sold my solo so I'll just duck out of the thread now but seriously no offense was made. I know about using the oil with the torch, but that just seems like it would ruin the vaping experience right away. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I'll leave this thread alone, but I hope no one has any hard feelings. It was just an observation and I suppose how clean you keep your equipment is all personal preference.

darkrom,

dorkus_molorkus

dude, dont go. the net leaves a lot of nuances to be desired or imagined.

Im sure its all cool. fuck man we are just all stoners.

dorkus_molorkus,

darkrom

Great Scott!
dorkus_molorkus said:
dude, dont go. the net leaves a lot of nuances to be desired or imagined.

Im sure its all cool. fuck man we are just all stoners.

I just feel like a dick. I was half joking expecting a funny response I just hate coming across as a dick, definitely not my intentions. I mean people are different. Personally I wouldn't hit glass like that but I didn't mean to imply anything negative about Vaped Ape. I do have OCD so I understand I like stuff extra clean, but that is more vapor goo than I expected anyone to be using that's all. I'm not passing judgement, who am I? Hope it's all cleared up.

darkrom,

dorkus_molorkus

who likes to be a dick?? not me :cool:
so, I hear you. lol but fuck it happens from time to time. espec when you are trying to be humorous,
I have crashed & burned so many times online just trying to be funny, its not funny! :D

theres an aussie saying, '' she'll be right mate.''

she'll be right mate, hang about, & pack a bowl. It's all good.

we ARE all friends here, fo shizzle!

dorkus_molorkus,

darkrom

Great Scott!
She'll be right mate...I like that. I like Australian culture for some reason even though I've never been there. The song Down Under is one of my favorites, I'm an 80's goon. Does that song drive Australians insane like I'd imagine it would or do you think its as awesome as I do?

Anyway I'm way off topic now but for anyone interested I sold my SS solo for $150 to a friend of a friend to give an idea of the current used market prices lol. I will definitely be sad to see it go because I still view it as one of the best portable ideas created, but IMO it is not done. This should be the prototype. If they used some different materials and refined it I'd have to take a look. I just don't like that they refuse to acknowledge the smell/flavor/headache issues. That really still upsets me. If everyone seems to report it being a bit better after baking it, then there is definitely something going on here and I am still genuinely curious even though it doesn't directly affect me. The solo was a real hard hitter and if they fixed the smell/flavor/headache issues I had, I can see it going back to being my portable of choice. Stuff like glass quality control issues are what I think of as minor acceptable problems. The stuff I was experiencing was health related and that is #1 with me, even if some view my concerns as being picky. I am picky when it comes to what I am inhaling several times daily.

darkrom,

dorkus_molorkus

Lol @ men at work- down under. (the 80's were so weird)

poor buggers recently got sued into oblivion due to some obscure copyright infringement regarding a riff in that song allegedly ripped of from an aussie childrens song. I heard the so-called plagaristic piece of music & I could not for the life of me draw the comparison between the two, but a judge did, and found in favor of the owners of the childrens song.

and of course the damages claim ushered forth

dorkus_molorkus,
Top Bottom