Arizer Solo

the new stems are not offered just as of yet. They were only given to a few of us with our replacements that we received or for the people that emailed and bitched lol.

VapeNStone,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hey Max, how do we know it's SS under the ceramic? From what I see of my peeling ceramic, the metal underneath does not look like the SS solo. That could be from use, heat, etc. but aluminum under there is possible. ANYTHING is possible with Arizer! They said only that ceramic is not applied, but what about those bigger holes on the top cap?

There is something going on with this ceramic situation that Arizer is not telling us. If it was just a "bad batch" these SS solos wouldn't even make it to market. It appears like everything is changing over to SS so i'm not sure what to make of that 3% defect rate for peeling ceramic solos.

ok now for the numbers. I charged both solos up to 100% full. The ceramic has been my daily driver for a while and so I have gone through alot of charges. The new SS i've only used to burn off the smell, but haven't actually vaped out of it yet (tolerance break lol).

The SS charged up to light number 7 in a whopping 1:12, and the heating light went out at 1:29! Fucking rights!

The ceramic solo charged up to light number 7 in 1:52, and light went out at 2:32.

I'm glad I have this info so I can compare again and "monitor" the battery life, or something.

max said:
Just wondering if there really was a change to the circuitry too or if mine is a fluke.
If the flaking problem was solved by simply leaving off the ceramic coating, which seems to be the case, it's extremely unlikely that any other changes were made. OTOH, it's possible that some change was made, at some point, to speed up the heating process, and your new unit got the upgrade. A change like this wouldn't be likely to be advertised by Arizer, since new buyers wouldn't know the difference, and those who own an older model wouldn't be happy to hear about an improvement they don't have. You could certainly email them and ask about it.

vape4life,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hippie I think you're right. And for this very reason I think I should get an a/c adapter instead of torching my new battery. Worth the $40 since it's my only vape.

I wonder how long it will be until the battery charges start to puke out.

Hippie Dickie said:
@vape4life -- the state of battery charge can affect how quickly the units heat up. And newer batteries will be somewhat more charge-able -- depending on number of charge cycles on your older unit.

vape4life,

headdoctor

I realize this is a basic question about a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam, but I've read the posts (all of them, I think) and there's conflicting evidence. First, do we know if Arizer is dropping the ceramic entirely and moving to ss (and if so, when?)? And second, if that's the case, is ss definitely preferable? I understand the complaints/concerns about the ceramic, but I've also read posts by people who prefer it. Basically, short of waiting for a Solo 2.0, I'm wondering if there is a sense that now is a bad time to buy. (I emailed one of the authorized retail websites last week; he was expecting a shipment of Solos this week but didn't know if they would be ss or ceramic. I'll check again with him.)
thanks!

headdoctor,

darebear999

Well, I got the solo but, unfortunately, it smells kinda like solder when it's heating. Both smell and taste are imparted to the vape making me kinda dizzy and nauseous, and not the good kind ; > I've contacted Arizer about a replacement and here's what Kevin had to say,

"Thank you for your email. We have received several Solo units from customers who have said there is a smell coming from the unit and after extensive testing we have been unable to notice any smells coming from the units. Nevertheless, if you send us your unit we will gladly repair or replace it for you under the warranty."

Ok, sorry Kevin, I'm glad you're willing to replace it (hopefully the new one doesn't smell too) but me and the apparently dozens of people who've experienced this are not imagining it. I've had and used quite a few different vapes in my day and this one has one of the strongest foreign smells. Are the SS units really less smelly though?

darebear999,

mongrel

just a further note regarding my bung solo.

initially i had no heat and the red & green light flashed alternately.
tried it the following day and it worked as usual and has for several days.
started it today and it burned my gear and i got a gob full of smoke! YUK! it was showing #1 on the graduating lights. edit; plus it reached temp. edit plus it turned off in roughly 3 minutes not 12.

it started with light #4 acting funny i.e. wouldn't light sometimes and was never a solid glow like the others. then came the intermittent occurrence that it wouldn't heat the gear properly. then wouldn't heat at all. and finally heated my gear to a crisp *cough*. and now i've got a fucking headache from the smoke.

from a complete position of ignorance, i reckon it's the thermostat! duhh, folks are dumb where i come from! from another position i won't be replacing the solo because once they break on me i've lost faith. *edit* however, if arizer would donate the purchase price i paid of $299 to W.S.P.A. www.wspa.org.au ( worldwide animal protection) i'll send the rooted unit back with no other expectation than they find out what went wrong. i'll post the response.

not anyones fault but i'm so damned sick of having to return dodgy goods. i live in the middle of nowhere so it's a real hassle.

enjoy your working solo's mates.

s'pose i'll give the wispr a go now. one man's misfortune is another man's gain.

commenting on the above: got the flaking but never the smell. bloke... don't use it till you know what you're inhaling.

mongrel,

vape4life

Banned for life
Alot of us can really empathize. Arizer is denying the smell and downplaying the flaking ceramic but at the same time trying to provide awesome customer service. Perhaps all their senses of smell have been destroyed by the very same chemicals producing the smell! lol

I think your SS replacement will have the same smell/taste and it mostly goes away with time/cycles and then eventually gets masked by herb/abv. My non SS solo is starting to smell alot like my older one and i'm really starting to wonder if its the abv getting in there somehow.

thanks for sharing your email /info from kevin at arizer. I guess for smell you need to ship yours in and for peeling they just need a pic and automatically ship a replacement.

So finally fired up the new SS, and the fast warmup time is a treat. I'm pretty sure it's not a battery issue because even with my 2 other solos when new they would NEVER heat up THAT fast. The airflow which was pretty crappy on the ceramic is also much better on the SS but that could be the 4 hole stems. The airflow is pretty good now, and produces some VERY nice clouds!

I love the straight aroma tube! I like to be able to stand it on either end, and the 4 hole design is vasty improved. I also noticed that it's way looser now too so i think it's that ring that expands or moves. It's loose enough for airflow but tight enough that it won't fall out and still has a bit of "suction" when you push it in or out.

Has anyone SS bowl "blued" yet? lol I should be putting some good use on mine this weekend, just wondering how long it will take, if ever lol to blue.

darebear999 said:
Well, I got the solo but, unfortunately, it smells kinda like solder when it's heating. Both smell and taste are imparted to the vape making me kinda dizzy and nauseous, and not the good kind ; > I've contacted Arizer about a replacement and here's what Kevin had to say,

"Thank you for your email. We have received several Solo units from customers who have said there is a smell coming from the unit and after extensive testing we have been unable to notice any smells coming from the units. Nevertheless, if you send us your unit we will gladly repair or replace it for you under the warranty."

Ok, sorry Kevin, I'm glad you're willing to replace it (hopefully the new one doesn't smell too) but me and the apparently dozens of people who've experienced this are not imagining it. I've had and used quite a few different vapes in my day and this one has one of the strongest foreign smells. Are the SS units really less smelly though?

vape4life,
vape4life said:
Alot of us can really empathize. Arizer is denying the smell and downplaying the flaking ceramic but at the same time trying to provide awesome customer service. Perhaps all their senses of smell have been destroyed by the very same chemicals producing the smell! lol

I think your SS replacement will have the same smell/taste and it mostly goes away with time/cycles and then eventually gets masked by herb/abv. My non SS solo is starting to smell alot like my older one and i'm really starting to wonder if its the abv getting in there somehow.

thanks for sharing your email /info from kevin at arizer. I guess for smell you need to ship yours in and for peeling they just need a pic and automatically ship a replacement.

So finally fired up the new SS, and the fast warmup time is a treat. I'm pretty sure it's not a battery issue because even with my 2 other solos when new they would NEVER heat up THAT fast. The airflow which was pretty crappy on the ceramic is also much better on the SS but that could be the 4 hole stems. The airflow is pretty good now, and produces some VERY nice clouds!

I love the straight aroma tube! I like to be able to stand it on either end, and the 4 hole design is vasty improved. I also noticed that it's way looser now too so i think it's that ring that expands or moves. It's loose enough for airflow but tight enough that it won't fall out and still has a bit of "suction" when you push it in or out.

Has anyone SS bowl "blued" yet? lol I should be putting some good use on mine this weekend, just wondering how long it will take, if ever lol to blue.

darebear999 said:

I don't think it will ever blue. Or at least it shouldn't. I mean its called STAINLESS steel for a reason?

VapeNStone,

Nosferatu

I think the smell issue is just powders or residues from the manufacturing process. It should technically wear off completely. The ceramic chipping issue has nothing to do with the smell, they are two different problems. Headaches would not be caused by the chipped ceramic, but rather the smell. So the only real problem with the Solo is the smell issue that only some people experience. If my new SS model doesn't have any initial smell I would suspect that its because they are doing better quality control now, making sure not to release units to until they clean them completely of the manufacturing odors. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with SS bowl.

Nosferatu,
Also Kevin ASSURED me that they are infact both a SS bowl. He said the units are exactly the same but nothing that should effect functionality. Here is the email because I asked him about the bowls. I had thought the one was aluminum and one was SS. But no.

Thank you for your email. It is stainless steel beneath the ceramic coating, not aluminum. There are many types of stainless steel and most change color when heat is added. I apologize for my wording in my last email, the stainless steel and ceramic units are not exactly the same, but there is no difference in the functionality of the two.

VapeNStone,

darkrom

Great Scott!
darebear999 said:

This right here is unacceptable to me and why I refuse to use my solo ever again. Someone is looking at it now and I'm hoping mine sells. Unlike arizer, I informed the person interested of the problems and issues with the device.

To simply say "I don't smell/see a problem so therefor it isn't there" is beyond unacceptable. I will never buy an arizer product again because I have more issues with how they conduct themselves than I do with this foul smelling and tasting vape. I loved the solo until all of its problems started showing themselves. They did wonderful by addressing the defective ceramic bowl, it's just too damn bad they won't do the same thing with all of the other issues that they are simply pretending are not there. This to me shows that arizer does not care about vaporists, only about sales. If I sold a vape and someone told me that it was making them physically sick, you could bet your ass I'd get to the bottom of it. If they can't make this vape safe/functional/gas free then they really should stop selling it.

darkrom,

darebear999

It's a shame, really. I can only hope the replacement resolves this issue or I'll be in the same boat. I was really stoked about getting this unit too. I mean, battery powered, small, silent, vapes like a volcano. This was going to replace all other vapes for me. And the nut of it is that all those things are true...but there's also this major off-gassing that's tainting the whole experience. I'm a bit of an electronics hobbyist and can't help but notice that it smells like solder being heated. Anyone else relate? I want to ask if they've determined what it is that's causing the smell but Arizer can't even smell it. Mine's heating as I write this about a good 2-3 feet away from my face and I can smell it ; >

darebear999,

brzi4

Uhh hey guys
So I got my solo and its pretty great so far. Fingers crossed that I don't start having the problems everyone else seems to be having. Mine had a bit of a smell at first but it appears to have dissipated after heating it a few times. Anyway my question is about smoking hash in the Solo. I know this has been touched on in a few spots here but I my question is still not really answered. I'm not really versed on all the terms re different kinds of hash so I'll just describe it. Its brown, and has the consistency of clay, you can roll it into little balls etc. I was wondering the best way to vape it in the solo...I don't want to clog up the tiny holes i the bowl or anything, or mess it up...plus I want the most efficient way to vape it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

brzi4,

Errl

How many of you that are experiencing the smell issue heat your Solo with the plastic cap still covering the heating unit?

I don't have a solution for it, but that thing 100% for sure WREAKED after just ONE TIME of heating the Solo with the cap on.

Errl,

Errl

brzi4 said:
Uhh hey guys
So I got my solo and its pretty great so far. Fingers crossed that I don't start having the problems everyone else seems to be having. Mine had a bit of a smell at first but it appears to have dissipated after heating it a few times. Anyway my question is about smoking hash in the Solo. I know this has been touched on in a few spots here but I my question is still not really answered. I'm not really versed on all the terms re different kinds of hash so I'll just describe it. Its brown, and has the consistency of clay, you can roll it into little balls etc. I was wondering the best way to vape it in the solo...I don't want to clog up the tiny holes i the bowl or anything, or mess it up...plus I want the most efficient way to vape it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Load a little green, then a little hash (don't overdo it or it will get messy) and finally a little more green. I like to put a smaller amount of herb on the side closest to the holes in the stem and a larger bit on the side that will be closer to the heating element so that the hash doesn't drip into the unit itself.

Also, if you're using a hash that liquifies when heated then I normally keep my Solo upside down when in use. Just to be extra safe!

Errl,

brzi4

Thanks Errl!

Just one more thing, do I bust up the hash into little balls? or make little pancakes or what? I'm assuming I bust it up to increase surface area but any tips would be great!

brzi4,

Errl

I normally make it into a little flat paddy. I wouldn't put in small pieces as these could end up falling into the unit or melting into it or something. If you just make 1 paddy, you know where it's all going to go when it melts.

Errl,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Yeah, I do a little pancake as well; sandwiched between flowers. Works good. :cool:

Stu,

vape4life

Banned for life
Had something of a glitch on my new SS solo. I noticed that whenever i would turn it on, instead of going into standby, it would just automatically jump to 1. I charged it again fully and it has resolved lol now goes into standby.

Tell Kevin at rockwise that there ARE other differences because the caps have bigger holes.

I'm thinking my new SS solo doesn't run as hot as my ceramic. I used a 2 hole stem with the SS so it's not just the increased airflow bringing it down, although the bigger holes in the caps. gonna keep experimenting with it.

vape4life,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
For what it's worth, Vitolo had a good solution for removing the smell from the Vapir NO2 (I think that was the model), but it was most effective when the unit was new. Don't know if it would be of help with the Solos. Mostly had to do with an initial burn off period.

With respect to changes being made to the Solo, I can only assume they are doing them all the time as they did with the E a few years ago. I'm fairly disappointed at how many people here are unsatisfied with Arizer. My E broke several times and every time I came away very satisfied with how Arizer handled it. I hope they aren't backsliding in this area.

I expect to see probably two more iterations of the Solo before it is 'perfected'. Some may call this shitty beta testing by paying customers. But the units were beta tested, and there is no substitute for feedback from thousands of users. I think a more accurate way of looking at it is that Arizer is always making their products better by listening to their customers. The Solo will probably be a fantastic purchase in a couple years after the price has dropped considerably and all the kinks have been worked out. I can't wait until 2013 when I get mine!

stickstones,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
I bought a glass tubing cutter for under $10.00 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Gl...JEZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319840261&sr=8-2

The cutter came and as I suspected the width dimensions of the cutter did not let me cut the Solo stem below the bend. I was able to cut above the curve for practice and cut again in the elbow of the bend. From there I was able to use by table top fixed rotary sander that I bought at Harbor Freight to sand almost 1/2 inch of tubing to get to the marked line I drew just below the bend. Use goggles and gloves when working with glass and power tools or hand tools for that matter. After about a 1/2 hr of careful work I moved to 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper to finish the snub nose stem. I ended up with a 1.5 inch stem overall including the bowl. The end is as smooth as a factory new one. Maybe the first novice in Solo land to make one, though I doubt it. Now I need something to put on top of it for a cool draw. First I am going to load it up and give it a try as a snubby. Ck it out Dorkus

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

dorkus_molorkus

@ da ape -pics pls

also, how is the stem with the ^ cut in the bottom?? Is it worth doing?

I think I might need to do the same here, still sucking like a cheap ho. lol

dorkus_molorkus,

Vaped Ape

MMJ Therapist specializing in gynecology~wannabe
I will have to study up on how to post pics here. I have vaped 2 bowls so far. OMG it is definitely worth trying.

It does get warm/hot so I might look to a tiny mouth piece. Maybe a baby bottle nipple. I think I will try a 2nd screen near the mouthpiece too. Little more stealth always good but the nipple kind of kills that.. As for the V. I like my draw so that V cut is a part of it. The snubby has no V but it pulls hard for a 2 barrel! I still use a doomed screen if for no other reason than I like the short volume bowl that I have for personal use. If I was sharing I would go the full size bowl. Next I want to modify a 4 barrel.

If someone else is looking to cut down a stem I would take a look at a glass cutter on Amazon that is called a "pliers style". This may or may not work better for cutting. Takes a bit of patience and some finesse but well worth it.

Da Ape

Vaped Ape,

w4m2k0

Hello, new to FC. Ive read this whole forum now I believe. I ordered the solo the other day. I'm really feeling like it was a gamble though.. If I either get the perfect vape or one with chemical residues is seeming to be a coin flip. Wish me luck lol:uhoh:

w4m2k0,

Errl

Oh yea, on my initial break in of my unit I took the top piece off and ran it on setting 7 for 3 cycles. I believe this is a common practice on a lot of these production manufactured vaporizers. Degassing of materials used in production are (in my experience) super gnarly intense melting plastic smell. Whenever I do my initial heating on any vaporizer I do it in front of a fan blowing air outside because it will make the whole room smell.

*edit* I'm sure that in 95 pages of a thread my points have already come up, just felt the need to throw in my :2c:

Errl,
Top Bottom