Venty by Storz & Bickel

Milka

I can't update my Venty on Chrome. It pairs but when I click Firmware Update it says no response received and disconnects.

I did it this way via the Bluefy app on my iPhone:

1. Reset Venty to default settings by pressing the Power Button for 10 sec
2. Make sure Bluetooth is ON
3. Disable the phone screen from automatically shutting off to ensure the Bluetooth connection is solid (Settings > Display & Brightness)
4. Click on the Update button in the Bluefy app
5. Finish 1st stage of the update ("BL" will appear on Venty's screen)
6. Go to the Bluefy app, confirm your Serial Number, and finish 2nd stage of the update

I had no issues, it worked flawlessly on the first try. I imagine the same procedure applies to other smartphones.

bluepom

I came across a pretty good deal on the Venty while looking around for sales this week:

If you live in the US, it's currently on sale at the link above with free shipping for $382.49, but you can use "gc-vapospy-vip" for an additional ~10% off. This brings the total to $342.33, which works out to just under 24% off. I just came across the link and coupon code, not affiliated in any way.
After reading the last couple of pages, I'm surprised if they'd get any takers if they gave them away.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Repeated company bashing. You've made your point. Move on.
So I do wonder:
if one buys a Venty secondhand is it still covered by the warranty?
Quoted myself since the question has not been answered but Venty's are offered/being sold secondhand in the mean time so i feel like it's a legit question tbh...
Anyone knows?

I mean: without this warranty-service how reliable is this device really? Who will buy it then?
Or: what's the resale value for a brick?

:brow:

DadaBoo

B2, Mighty+, M/Omni, Volcano Hybrid, TM2, Anvil
I dunno about the warranty, my assumption is that it would not be covered as its registered to the individual.

When you buy anything second hand there is always a chance that its gonna fail or not be in the best of shape. I mean after all, we can't control how a user treats a device prior to selling it on.

DadaBoo,
Reactions: seki

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I dunno about the warranty, my assumption is that it would not be covered as its registered to the individual.

When you buy anything second hand there is always a chance that its gonna fail or not be in the best of shape. I mean after all, we can't control how a user treats a device prior to selling it on.
I agree that would be standard practice but can't help but feel that in this particular case this has a huge impact on the resale value.
I mean: some of the updates seem to be used to sift out units that have some kind of malfunction leaving them stuck in an error mode when doing the update. So S&B only does RMA on those units. How will second hand owners be treated in such cases? Basically these problems have nothing to do with how the device was treated by it's user(s)...
No idea of the overall (user unrelated) fail rate of these things but i'm pretty sure so far it's not really proven itself to be the most reliable device out there... :sherlock: ( imagine if it would BE a taser (instead of just looking like one) there would be a lot of owners with broken noses making warranty claims i can tell you that..:dog:.)

Anywayz: if buying second hand implies you loose all warranty rights i'd say: Be Warned!

666Honeybadger,
Reactions: cosimo

DadaBoo

I mean: some of the updates seem to be used to sift out units that have some kind of malfunction leaving them stuck in an error mode when doing the update.
Some of the updates? I thought there had only been one installable update since release (which I installed with zero issues) which was designed to fix the E04 messages, not create them or sift out dodgy units.

Anywayz: if buying second hand implies you loose all warranty rights i'd say: Be Warned!
This wisdom applies to all second hand goods imo, as I outlined above.

DadaBoo,
Reactions: seki

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Some of the updates? I thought there had only been one installable update since release
Yeah, i was under the impression there has been more than one but can't be bothered to research how many tbh. I could be wrong;
This post:
My Venty was out on loan for over 4 months, so I had two updates to do. Second update was finicky, had to retry Pairing twice, but it finally worked

also indicates there's more than one..

which was designed to fix the E04 messages, not create them or sift out dodgy units.

it's conjecture indeed
Someone else on Reddit also has mentioned that they were still getting the error after applying the update but after contacting support, their RMA that was previously denied was almost immediately approved. This tells me that they might be able to better identify units that have the actual issue they're concerned about and these can probably be dealt with through their normal RMA process now. I'm very curious to know how many devices were actually affected by this issue but we'll probably never know.

All of this (except the sale link above) is complete conjecture thoug

What's not conjecture (and what was my point) is that the Venty has been a true warranty hog so far so without that covered it's worth less then a brick imo.. It's just trouble waiting to happen imo.
Just read the thread,

This wisdom applies to all second hand goods imo, as I outlined above.
Maybe to a lot of stuff but most certainly not to all. There's really a lot of things (vapes and others) that can be bought secondhand without great risks.
The Venty is not one of such items.

Last edited:
666Honeybadger,
Reactions: DadaBoo

DadaBoo

Yeah, i was under the impression there has been more than one but can't be bothered to research how many tbh. I could be wrong;
This post:

also indicates there's more than one..

it's conjecture indeed

What's not conjecture (and what was my point) is that the Venty has been a true warranty hog so far so without that covered it's worth less then a brick imo.. It's just trouble waiting to happen imo.
Just read the thread,

Maybe to a lot of stuff but most certainly not to all. There's really a lot of things (vapes and others) that can be bought secondhand without great risks.
The Venty is not one of such items.
Well maybe you're correct, all I know is since Christmas I have only seen one update available, which I now have successfully installed.

Yeah, Venty and all second hand electronic equipment should be purchased at your own risk, I fully agree.

DadaBoo,

seki

I registered a 2nd hand Mighty without a receipt. I simply had to contact support and explain my situation. I wasn't able to supply a receipt as requested, so I sent them a picture of the serial number on the back of the unit instead. They responded that because I didn't provide a receipt they couldn't grant me the full warranty, but they could provide me with service beginning with when S&B sold this particular unit to retail. That amounted to nearly 2 years of coverage for me. This was after the Canopy Growth acquisition but I couldn't say if their policies are different today, it's been a couple of years since I've needed any service or support.

Yeah, Venty and all second hand electronic equipment should be purchased at your own risk, I fully agree.
Agreed, I think this is common sense. I also think wading in to the thread to criticize S&B for industry standard warranty practices seems misplaced. "Buyer beware" is a philosophy every consumer should abide by, but it's been my experience going back nearly 2 decades that S&B has always provided good to excellent warranty service. I can't tell you how many times I've read someone post that they sent their beat-to-shit Mighty or Crafty back in to S&B without the cooling unit and were sent a brand new unit in a retail box as a replacement. It's a pretty common thing when reading S&B discussions online.

Last edited:

Sidoney

I managed to get the update to work via Chrome on a Windows PC.

I'll start by noting I've never once had an issue with my Venty - no error 04, nothing - it's been a dream device!

For me, as I'd never updated since receiving the unit in December, first i believe the bootloader needed updating, I think that for me, I went from v1.02 to v1.06. Then, after that, there was another update for the firmware from v1.02 to v1.07.

The most frustrating parts are:

1) I can't update through my phone or tablet using the Web app. It must be a computer (I'm using Android - maybe it's better for iOS)

2) Every step of both update processes said the device would reboot after updating, but it never did. It made me think it was bricked over and over. I had to manually turn it back on each time. It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying

Sidoney,
Reactions: Jill NYC

ChooChooCharlie

I think update should be done while plugged in and charging. No worries about timeouts -- when plugged in, the connection establishes even if unit is off

Unfortunately, S&B didn't include this hint on their firmware updating instruction page. This is probably more important than doing a reset before, but that wouldn't hurt either

I don't own an Android phone or tablet, but remember reading how BLE location services need to be turned on. Took screenshot from the Android open source site:

BLE-location-settings.jpg

Adgej123

My rma'd Venty is scheduled for delivery this Friday. Fingers crossed that I don't have any more issues!!
I had a shipping notification Monday for my RMA return saying it was ready to be shipped with a DHL tracking no. DHL tracking says 'DHL Express received shipment information', but this hasn't changed since Monday, then today I had an RMA Invoice (no charge), but again, tracking hasn't moved. Did you have anything similar?

Adgej123,

buttervap

I had a shipping notification Monday for my RMA return saying it was ready to be shipped with a DHL tracking no. DHL tracking says 'DHL Express received shipment information', but this hasn't changed since Monday, then today I had an RMA Invoice (no charge), but again, tracking hasn't moved. Did you have anything similar?
My shipping notification from S&B Emeryville, CA was on April 19th. The Venty was processed in Oakland just on the 24th. I don't know why it just sat there for a few days. Scheduled to come via USPS on April 26th.

buttervap,

Adgej123

My shipping notification from S&B Emeryville, CA was on April 19th. The Venty was processed in Oakland just on the 24th. I don't know why it just sat there for a few days. Scheduled to come via USPS on April 26th.
Nice one, strangely not an hour after I'd posted the above, it began the journey and a new Venty is now on my desk 👍Have missed it a lot more than I thought back to the Mighty temporarily. Enjoy

Adgej123,
Reactions: buttervap

buttervap

Just got my new Venty. I was under the impression that RMA'd Ventys were returned with a new carrying case. I didn't get one. On the S&B web site under my return it even had a picture of the Venty with a carrying case. Oh, well.
Does anyone know if I have to re-register my new device? Or does S&B do it automatically?

buttervap,

brquad225

Just got my new Venty. I was under the impression that RMA'd Ventys were returned with a new carrying case. I didn't get one. On the S&B web site under my return it even had a picture of the Venty with a carrying case. Oh, well.
Does anyone know if I have to re-register my new device? Or does S&B do it automatically?
I'm just hoping I receive a new, not repaired one!

brquad225,

4-Aces King-High

Now my Venty is coming today! Fingers crossed!

Register your Device, for me it was Not Automatic

Top Bottom