The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Burnjus32

PXL-20240426-002339385.jpg
PXL-20240426-002309784.jpg

Finally got some swage delivered from Dovetail Woodworks for my tempest. To say I'm in love is an understatement!
Do all his dynavap stems fit right over the revolve cooling unit?

KindBuddyBud

Welp, it finally happened. I dumped my balls in my reload as I was emptying avb. How many come standard in the tempest? (please 🙏 I know it’s in this thread somewhere but it’s like 200 pages I do not have the time to thumb through it again). I’m a little panicked because well, the tempest has made it to my daily driver. Occasionally I’ll pull out the tm2 or my sticky brick but damn, the tempest has been my only device I’ve been using since it landed the end of February. Such a solid device. Thanks @Brenyo and FC crew.

MrKitakou

Welp, it finally happened. I dumped my balls in my reload as I was emptying avb. How many come standard in the tempest? (please 🙏 I know it’s in this thread somewhere but it’s like 200 pages I do not have the time to thumb through it again). I’m a little panicked because well, the tempest has made it to my daily driver. Occasionally I’ll pull out the tm2 or my sticky brick but damn, the tempest has been my only device I’ve been using since it landed the end of February. Such a solid device. Thanks @Brenyo and FC crew.
Fill it until the bottom of the threading, around 84
~84 for 2.5mm balls. 40 if they're 3mm, 100 2mm, a little more discussion around #4,341

Cannabiker

My spill occurred during my first (and only) ball cleaning. Those things sure can travel on a hardwood floor. I think I found almost all of them, but I didn't feel like counting, so I just went with this guidance from the manual: "Fill the chamber with balls until the bottom of the screen threading." I had enough to meet that standard, so I allowed myself to stop fretting over whether I'd found them all.

bupbups

Happened me twice so far and almost happened a 3rd time last night.

I noticed last night a light friction feeling when closing the cap at the very last twist, I thought it might be dirty threads but theyre really clean but on further inspection the ball screen was wiggling it's way loose in the head and almost popped out of the last thread (hope that makes sense 😅)

KindBuddyBud

Thanks all for the responses. I counted 43 so I don’t think I loss any. And thanks to the ent that gave the pro tip about liquid sugar soap, that stuff is amazing. Since the balls and screen were out, I put em in one of those squeeze pop top jars to soak for 5min or so. Shook it up a few times and everything came out damn near new. Good to know I can get a deep clean in about a half hour.

ahm123

Thanks all for the responses. I counted 43 so I don’t think I loss any. And thanks to the ent that gave the pro tip about liquid sugar soap, that stuff is amazing. Since the balls and screen were out, I put em in one of those squeeze pop top jars to soak for 5min or so. Shook it up a few times and everything came out damn near new. Good to know I can get a deep clean in about a half hour.
is there a good liquid sugar soap brand that is recommended?

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I have spent the last few days avoiding the internet like the plague which has been good as its given me a bunch of time to play about with different sized torches as that was something I have really wanted to do to try and find the easiest repeatable way of clearing the bowl - the way I want to in the "stoney" / hot sort of way which I struggle to with the wand, It just doesn't seem to quite have the power I'm looking for - could be my wand - but even when I lower the insert and am directly heating the bowl, it still seems to miss the mark.

I'm in the process of collecting some more way's to heat the Tempest. I grabbed a Ronx dual, Blazer Firefox (arrives Monday), Blazer Stingray (in customs apparently), Big Boy Blazer as well as different sized double and triple torches (local's / tobacco shops) - whatever I could find really...

I also trying to get more induction heaters to test with (Forge / Flare) which should have a bit more power than the wand; but the Forge is about 2 weeks from being sent and the Flare longer.... so a few weeks longer wait for those.

At the moment I am really enjoying the Ronx dual torch which was recommended to me by "@itswhiff" for the Anvil (which was driving me nuts with its thermal lag with smaller torches), I decided to play around with it with the Tempest and its a really good size match. Its easier with the larger single flame to heat the oven and manage the lag by starting the heat low near the bowl and as it heats up move the flame slowly towards the top, such that your at the top just as the VI hits the third mark/second click. This decreases the time you need to wait for the device to stabilize and start to cool which also decreases any risks of combustion.

When the others come and I can do a video of the differences I will.

Splather

So... Is this the right topic/forum to bug @Brenyo for updates on a release date for the Tempest? My gen 1 Revolve wants a sibling, and I could do with cheering up in this foul British weather. :)

Splather,

Strolling&Rolling

I have spent the last few days avoiding the internet like the plague which has been good as its given me a bunch of time to play about with different sized torches as that was something I have really wanted to do to try and find the easiest repeatable way of clearing the bowl - the way I want to in the "stoney" / hot sort of way which I struggle to with the wand, It just doesn't seem to quite have the power I'm looking for - could be my wand - but even when I lower the insert and am directly heating the bowl, it still seems to miss the mark.

I'm in the process of collecting some more way's to heat the Tempest. I grabbed a Ronx dual, Blazer Firefox (arrives Monday), Blazer Stingray (in customs apparently), Big Boy Blazer as well as different sized double and triple torches (local's / tobacco shops) - whatever I could find really...

I also trying to get more induction heaters to test with (Forge / Flare) which should have a bit more power than the wand; but the Forge is about 2 weeks from being sent and the Flare longer.... so a few weeks longer wait for those.

At the moment I am really enjoying the Ronx dual torch which was recommended to me by "@itswhiff" for the Anvil (which was driving me nuts with its thermal lag with smaller torches), I decided to play around with it with the Tempest and its a really good size match. Its easier with the larger single flame to heat the oven and manage the lag by starting the heat low near the bowl and as it heats up move the flame slowly towards the top, such that your at the top just as the VI hits the third mark/second click. This decreases the time you need to wait for the device to stabilize and start to cool which also decreases any risks of combustion.

When the others come and I can do a video of the differences I will.
I've had similar experiences with the wand, for what it's worth. If I leave to "time's up" it's still not at the heat to get full extraction.

Usually I will leave it until Times Up and then put it back in again for another 10 seconds or so longer to get a little bit more heat. My wand is brand new also, so I doubt it's just your wand.

Strolling&Rolling,

RedZep

I've had similar experiences with the wand, for what it's worth. If I leave to "time's up" it's still not at the heat to get full extraction.

Usually I will leave it until Times Up and then put it back in again for another 10 seconds or so longer to get a little bit more heat. My wand is brand new also, so I doubt it's just your wand.
I get really deep, dark, full extraction around 38 seconds in the wand.

I've read some people's wands are different. I wonder if it's battery differentials. I noticed how my wand heat ups are less powerful when the device has a bar or less charge left. Maybe some batteries are providing poor performance even when fully charged. I recall this was a factor for the TM2. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Other than that I can only think of draw speed. If draw is too fast the air moves too fast over the herb, minimising extraction while maximising ball heat loss.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I think I got mine more than 2 years ago, it's 260f to get to the third vi mark on the tempest so it should be more powerful :p I am sick of the wand
I get really deep, dark, full extraction around 38 seconds in the wand.

I've read some people's wands are different. I wonder if it's battery differentials. I noticed how my wand heat ups are less powerful when the device has a bar or less charge left. Maybe some batteries are providing poor performance even when fully charged. I recall this was a factor for the TM2. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Other than that I can only think of draw speed. If draw is too fast the air moves too fast over the herb, minimising extraction while maximising ball heat loss.
I have the OG batteries, Morceil and a samsung set and no matter what I put in it, 260f is 3rd vi and its useless with the TA, doesn't heat it in 2 cycles at 440c, pretty sure its my wand and probably its picking up on my distaste and just not working to spite me :p

Singularity Walker

I recently got a new VI coil with a Mad Heaters order. It caused me to adjust my seating of the wand adapter a bit deeper than before (just slightly more than is recommended) to have the VI perfectly in line with the third mark @ 280c to timeout. This VI gives vapor right down to the bottom line now. So between being right on the mark @ 280c and vapor ending right as the VI drops below the lower marker I think it is well adjusted now.

I found at this depth (even with my coughing weak throat/lungs) I can clear a Tempest half-bowl or a TA3 between 3/4 to full bowl with a dark roast using an EU wand in Flower mode with 1 flower lit and 3 ghost flowers as the setting by heating Tempest once till time-out and the TA twice till time-out. This will come out a hair higher than the 3rd mark on the Tempest VI.

I have, based on my usage, come up with a few rules for battery swapping on the Wand because the Wand is a bit inconsistent with battery usage especially as power drops off.
If I power the Wand on and there is only 1 bar, I change the battery. If during heating the wand dips to 0 bars while heating, then I change the batteries after that heatup even if it jumps back to 2 bars once heating ends.

I also notice the wand heats a bit differently based on the batteries themselves (likely discharge rate related) although it has a less of a noticeable impact at least with the batteries I have).
With that, here are the battery brands I have been using: HΩ LIFE, Ispire, Molicel

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I said it before - I really like the Ronx Dual torch with the Tempest.

Using the single flame setting, setting the flame to be about as long as the cap, heating the cap with a wave motion, from bottom to top - taking care to end the heat cycle at the top of the cap - just under visual indicator. Ending the heating cycle with the flame at the top of the oven, helps to limit the amount of stabilization time you need to cater for / wait for - you can stop heating as soon as the second click happens / or as soon as the visual gauge nits the final mark and then hit the Tempest straight away.

This is a one heat clear of the full bowl packed full.

It’s probably the most effective method for heating the Tempest I’ve found yet and the effects are … just what I’m looking for, Stoney and a good pain killer.

I would say that this sized single flame torch, something with a good 2.5cm flame is about the right size to get the most out of the Tempest. In all the mucking about with the Cyclone triple torch, the best way to use it is to do a a 2 heat clear, I find myself re-heating it after the VI drops below the bottom mark - however with the Ronx with the size/method above is a perfect single heat clear.

I'll do a video of it tomorrow start to finish to show vapour quantity and the AVB properly; my VI is jumpy and sticky, nothing major but I damaged my cap testing.

This is the strongest hit I have got off the Tempest and I would be comfortable saying its as good of an extraction as I have achieved with the Anvil using the same torch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom