The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

dtrdrk

I have been using this thing for two months now and still love it. Half bowl with 520 on the wand and fully open airflow gives me perfect extraction with coffee brown abv. I never use the body though. Much prefer a wpa as i always go through water.

Does anyone know if this decapper fits the tempest?

jbm

What's the airflow on your cap set to? I use a Prophet (rip off) and I am happy with the extraction but I have the cap airflow only partially open and I kind of pepper the breath but that's my technique.
Whatever the default setting is. I haven’t adjusted the cap airflow at all.

jbm,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
@Brenyo Will the VI piece itself be available for purchase as a separate item for those that might want to try custom coloring just that bit?
Corollary, will the VI coil be available as a separate purchase in case one damages, loses, or misplaces it?
Not initially, but both will be available later.

I've got around 43 3mm zirconia balls in mine and the heat retention isn't impressing me. I heat with both the wand and a torch. Does anyone know if the 2.5 mm zirconia balls retain heat a bit longer?
I'd recommend cubic zirconia stones in 3mm size

Tempest cleaning box should be available again soon

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Pretty dissapointed with the heat retention on my device. I've got around 43 3mm zirconia balls in mine and the heat retention isn't impressing me. I heat with both the wand and a torch. Does anyone know if the 2.5 mm zirconia balls retain heat a bit longer?

I've only used it with the balls that came with it (2,5mm) but i've got no complaints regarding heat retention. Always do full bowls, wand till time out (330c). I never had to reheat a bowl to get full extraction (with weed, full bowl of hash i go for a second cycle if necessary).

Feels like the vapor runs out before the heat does, sometimes makes me wonder if it's capable of clearing a slightly larger bowl. :brow:

@TheScamericann any idea how long it stays in vaping-temp-range when casually hitting it?

shadymilkman

The variety of airflows in this device are incredible but can lead to a learning curve that might take longer to discover and master. The heat though should outlast the deep bowl setting.. the height of the heat source on the cap might be a variable, there are times that the VI might react to differently depending on where the heat is emanating from.

The ball size does change the performance and heat retention but its less about the size of the balls and more about how you are using them. If you have a open airflow and breath deep, the heat retention is reduced and the smaller ball size will feel like it has slightly longer heat retention.

I find it more effective to slow down your breathing or close the airflow on the cap, as both of those techniques increase the length of time the device is at optimal temperature and increase the density of the vapour.
I took your advice and slowed my draw down and i'm now getting much better heat retention. Thanks

Last edited:

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Will this vape be released one day?
Or I still have time to wait until the flood
Still in process, most recent updates were on April 5th (page 187) with a release date of Soon(tm):
As soon as possible, I'd rather not guess wrong again.:D The new version of the steel parts are even more challenging to manufacture than the titanium parts so it takes some time to finish (and it doesn't help that the Chinese are on a holiday again...:ko:)

ToatsOats

So when I was using the tempest, the screen holding the balls somehow stopped fitting flush within the tempest head and doesnt screw in anymore. I had all my balls spill out when I was in a session. Does anyone know where I can get some spare zirconium balls and a spare ball screen for the tempest?

ToatsOats,

kegstandman420

So when I was using the tempest, the screen holding the balls somehow stopped fitting flush within the tempest head and doesnt screw in anymore. I had all my balls spill out when I was in a session. Does anyone know where I can get some spare zirconium balls and a spare ball screen for the tempest?
The ball screen you may have to get off mh site. If you still have it I saw a video you can smash it down with a glass or soda can Maybe. I got glass 3mm off vgoodies. They have zrc also and are running a 420 sale. Super fast shipping.

ToatsOats

The ball screen you may have to get off mh site. If you still have it I saw a video you can smash it down with a glass or soda can Maybe. I got glass 3mm off vgoodies. They have zrc also and are running a 420 sale. Super fast shipping.
Ill probably get the zrc off vgoodiez. I had a question though, would it be possible to get something like this if it is the same size and put it in the tempest head to hold the balls? I just dont want to wait just for the screen to come from the UK. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Stainless-Concave-Pipe-Screens/dp/B07CJWV8W2/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3V1DZ2V5QWT5E&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.0ZxwoPpQhgCdTtSx2PQ9_0yv462Ipotx8-4YG7tZArHC2xucw7saUCKqSTjaeTlV58_qdsEn4W7-EjZnlTmCMRcSVaDXRfGxAGerGRBnokW9-go7m8e8NxAnkgtyPCog0BhmCZCdTEUGuYOFfBzsBP1qbJ8NMn4IIXDJLN5do_P5rIuniidrE4b_8wI1dWmEsXmU8lZjPMGEK7T2F8UH27GBIhm0eBGkYeohCMyZxk5XhaiP7iG4rag8hks1-XwbaI0FBFo0x2PM8jzPT8r0Fi5aay83rd8IKlOP8KJlqHQ.YKPXL-3tjssoTIr9Jsu9dmzY153VQ5gdqsTrevWImIE&dib_tag=se&keywords=pipe+screen+solid&qid=1713318497&s=hpc&sprefix=pipe+screen+soli,hpc,141&sr=1-11

or something like this too

ToatsOats,

TedJones

The first one's are too big at 1/2" and second for Dynas are too small. The 9.5/10mm bowl screen would also be too small. A possible patch might be a 3/8" mesh. It should be just a bit too big to "screw" in, therefore you'd form it in a dome, and work it into place underneath the threads. Did this with another vape HERE (1/2" mesh in this).

Took a long time and poker to the edges to get it set in place to where I have no doubts about it. Will need prying out, ha! Just a thought.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Cubic zirc? no balls? :cool:should i try it? for science?
*laughing* I have used no balls! I forgot to put them in the cap and started heating it... I only realised it was empty because the balls that were in my lap fell on the floor.

I also tried gem cut rubies earlier today when I was cleaning everything for giggles - not my pick for this device.

I stopped swapping gems (unless its for a specific test). I prefer 3mm Zrc's over all the other things I have tried in the Tempest.

I like the way boro (2.5mm is my preference) takes the heat quickly and releases it instantly, but the Zrc's are able to maintain the temperature longer allowing for the stronger effects.

Last edited:

ljstavy

I've ordered the thicker ball screens for the release, hopefully it won't delay things much.
appreciate this! thinner screens will be easier to bend/dent a thicker ball screen will ensure it screws into place and stays securely since a thicker screen cant be bent/damaged as easily.

edit: @Brenyo so how much thicker will the new screens be?

Last edited:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
edit: @Brenyo so how much thicker will the new screens be?
The plan was to go from 0.2 to 0.25, but I’ve realised there’s a more secure option with the current screen, so I might cancel it…:ko:

I always installed the screen to hold the balls in place so they don’t rattle. However, if you screw it slightly further after removing 1 or 2 balls, it will reach the end of the thread where you can tighten it without bending it and making it eventually come loose. The downside is that the balls will rattle, but it definitely stays in place.

@Brenyo Are you going to be restocking the Revolve, or is the Tempest replacing it?
The Tempest is replacing it

ljstavy

The plan was to go from 0.2 to 0.25, but I’ve realised there’s a more secure option with the current screen, so I might cancel it…:ko:

I always installed the screen to hold the balls in place so they don’t rattle. However, if you screw it slightly further after removing 1 or 2 balls, it will reach the end of the thread where you can tighten it without bending it and making it eventually come loose. The downside is that the balls will rattle, but it definitely stays in place.

The Tempest is replacing it
i can picture it in my head what ya mean it makes total sense since the screen goes further into the threads basically like you are saying locking it in place if I'm correct? so will the number of balls be adjusted for final release or will i have to remove a ball or two. I don't mind rattling since in a way this device will be used at my computer desk so rattling isn't an issue as long as the screen is fully secure!

when screwing the screen in with the threads there isn't any way for the screen to get bent while tightening or losening right? I'm used to dynavap ccds that like need a concave to work well but also end up getting deformed. i know with this ball screen it being perfectly flat guarantees better connection to the threads.

Last edited:
ljstavy,

TedJones

Good to hear that won’t hold up progress any further :tup:When switching out mine, I’ve done exactly the same by making sure the highest point of any top ball(s), don’t exceed the lowest point of the threading. Screw in snug all the way down. One of the little fins always seems to bend slightly, but that’s where the threads start ;) I do have bit of rattlesnake sound if giggled 🐍

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know if this dyna stem would work with the tempest? https://vapefiend.co.uk/products/hydravong-stem-62mm

It's on sale so was considering getting one.
It should work fine. It doesn't provide any cooling on its own, but it is a vong meant to be used on glass. For the Tempest head, if you intend to hit it directly without putting it on some kind of cooling device, I personally think you need to have some kind of cooling in the stem because the Tempest runs very hot...

cybrguy,
Reactions: Zagala

Sunny

It should work fine. It doesn't provide any cooling on its own, but it is a vong meant to be used on glass. For the Tempest head, if you intend to hit it directly without putting it on some kind of cooling device, I personally think you need to have some kind of cooling in the stem because the Tempest runs very hot...
Do you think the tempest cooling unit could be used as a mouthpiece to add cooling?

Sunny,
Top Bottom