The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Sorry for the essay of a response haha.
have you seen my posts :p ?

@Brenyo I'm a little slow, I only just saw the bright green Visual Indicator dial in the Tempest manual videos...

Now I desperately want a coloured one as it stands out so well against the titanium of the cap... the green works really.... really well surprisingly. Its stands out so well its tempting to get one just because of how bright it is.... but I thinks a purple or black :p indicator would be amazing... are they planned for the release?

I may have just missed you announcing it but I noticed them in the pictures (mock ups, gallery, videos) on the website - which I hadn't noticed before - so I am assuming it is?

I am going to have to get a black setup as that cap/indicator combo is awesome :) and would really show off the rosewood sleeve.

Last edited:

HaggisHunter

have you seen my posts :p ?

@Brenyo I'm a little slow, I only just saw the bright green Visual Indicator dial in the Tempest manual videos...

Now I desperately want a coloured one as it stands out so well against the titanium of the cap... the green works really.... really well surprisingly. Its stands out so well its tempting to get one just because of how bright it is.... but I thinks a purple or black :p indicator would be amazing... are they planned for the release?

I may have just missed you announcing it but I noticed them in the pictures (mock ups, gallery, videos) on the website - which I hadn't noticed before - so I am assuming it is?

I am going to have to get a black setup as that cap/indicator combo is awesome :) and would really show off the rosewood sleeve.
I anodised all the titanium parts a deep purple when I got mine.
Then polished the indicator back up about a week later.
Biggest issue was I couldn't see the indicator moving when it was heating inside the wand, with a torch it's not and issue.

I use my wand for reheating as well, I couldn't see when the indicator as at my chosen mark for subsequent bowls or re-heats.

I had trimmed back the silicon sleeve to see the glass better.
Even in a well lit room, I was having difficulty seeing it move.
After polishing it back, could see it fine.

Think I'd rather stick with plain or polished VI's now.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I anodised all the titanium parts a deep purple when I got mine.
Then polished the indicator back up about a week later.
Biggest issue was I couldn't see the indicator moving when it was heating inside the wand, with a torch it's not and issue.

I use my wand for reheating as well, I couldn't see when the indicator as at my chosen mark for subsequent bowls or re-heats.

I had trimmed back the silicon sleeve to see the glass better.
Even in a well lit room, I was having difficulty seeing it move.
After polishing it back, could see it fine.

Think I'd rather stick with plain or polished VI's now.
I apricate the feedback :)

corvo

Omnivap, as in a Dynavap stem?
It's too hot.
I have an Omnivap, I wouldn't put the tempest head on it, I know from use the tempest head is going to produce too much heat for a standard Dynavap stem.
yes use the tempest tip like a dynavap , okey so i need to buy the tempest with his stem , i taste one time the tempest but i think the original stem if it isn't total open its so flavourless

HaggisHunter

yes use the tempest tip like a dynavap , okey so i need to buy the tempest with his stem , i taste one time the tempest but i think the original stem if it isn't total open its so flavourless
I'm not wanting to risk anyone having a go at me, I'll avoid getting into comparisons, there's another thread for that.

Flavour on those set-ups was a little diminished, but this is very different.
I guess it's the convection that does it, but this tastes far better than the aforementioned bits.

I'm well impressed with the flavour from this, through the titanium and wooden sleeves and the taste is on point for me, better in the titanium though.
There was talk of a new 13mm glass sleeve too, it's not listed on the website now but if they come out, I would imagine they would also help with the flavour.

There has been a lot of positivity about taste and flavour in the thread.

kokolokokolokon

.... but I thinks a purple or black :p indicator would be amazing... are they planned for the release?.
A black calibration module (just the module, not the indicator of course) would be dope.
I set the tempest in a myl position in the wand and aim with the triple torch in the low part of the induction layer and the DLC stands it very very well (and if i clean it a lot the black is like the day 1)

How often are folk having to clean their devices? I'm running the helix tube in mines with airport closed and airflow wide open on the tip and i'm finding i have to give it a clean every morning. I do between 6-10 bowls a day. I've also started to give the tip a deep clean every 2 weeks, torching the balls and and all, I find that if i dont it has a noticeable affect on taste. Also wondering if theres a way to set up the air flow on the stem/tip that will help retain heat in the tip a little longer.

Cheers

TheScamericann,
Reactions: TedJones

Singularity Walker

@Brenyo Will the VI piece itself be available for purchase as a separate item for those that might want to try custom coloring just that bit?
Corollary, will the VI coil be available as a separate purchase in case one damages, loses, or misplaces it?

Definitely grabbing a Green & Purple. when they go up for sale.

Last edited:
Singularity Walker,

TedJones

How often are folk having to clean their devices?
I’m going a little longer than you without cleaning .. 15-20 bowls guessing.
Also wondering if theres a way to set up the air flow on the stem/tip that will help retain heat in the tip a little longer.
Just close the cap airflow as much as you’re comfortable with. If I have it closed too much, cap & stem gets and remains hot!

rebelFarmer

How often are folk having to clean their devices? I'm running the helix tube in mines with airport closed and airflow wide open on the tip and i'm finding i have to give it a clean every morning. I do between 6-10 bowls a day. I've also started to give the tip a deep clean every 2 weeks, torching the balls and and all, I find that if i dont it has a noticeable affect on taste. Also wondering if theres a way to set up the air flow on the stem/tip that will help retain heat in the tip a little longer.

Cheers
Similar set up for air as you, I clean it when the tube is basically fully of resin which is to say rarely, probs >=100bowls.

RedZep

I clean mine twice a week. It doesn't need it. Can easily go a week. I just find it very simple to clean, so why not. I have a glass container full of iso. Just submerge parts for an hour, rinse with hot water and leave to dry before bedtime. Wake up to a clean device. If the tip and balls have not fully dried you can just flame it with a torch and boil off the residual water.

Lwd0003

So I imagine there are lots of lurkers here, who can't wait to get their hands on one. Some might be disappointed the full release has not happened yet.

But at least it means it's a less risky purchase, as at this point some people have had units for a long time. So you are not getting reviews from just people in the honeymoon period.

I'm personally past the 6 months mark with the beta. I've used it every single day, apart from when I had COVID, or went travelling abroad. It remains the best vape i've ever tried. For those losing patience, just hang in there. It's really all you hear and more. It will be worth the wait.
I am patiently waiting… I know it will be worth it! I got the gen2 and it’s my favorite by far!!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
How often are folk having to clean their devices? I'm running the helix tube in mines with airport closed and airflow wide open on the tip and i'm finding i have to give it a clean every morning. I do between 6-10 bowls a day.
I do more than that in a day and get a way with a few days to a week... before I clean it... its mostly performance or taste as opposed to time spent that determines when it gets cleaned

I've also started to give the tip a deep clean every 2 weeks, torching the balls and and all, I find that if i dont it has a noticeable affect on taste.
I actually do this overnight at least once a week, just chuck my cap and bowl in iso overnight - usually its alittle warm, leave it over nigtht and clean it the next day (rinse etc) - I don't "torch" the balls as I don't find it makes any difference to the taste - if it doesn't come off in warm iso *shrugs* its just stain.

Also wondering if theres a way to set up the air flow on the stem/tip that will help retain heat in the tip a little longer.
If you close the airflow on the tempest cap, like completely and close the airport either with your finger or twisting the cooling unit and then breath very slowly, draw air slowly, shallowly and you will feel the vapour condense and become more and more dense and it starts to tickle the back of your throat.

Simply breathing slower and reducing the air volume going through the cap reduces the cooling that happens to the oven - try it with breathing normally and or with the cap open and you should see a difference.

Not sure that's what you mean exactly - but its the way I slow down the session to increase the conduction by increasing the length of time the oven stays at peak temperatures mean that there is more opportunity for the build up of radiant heat and some level of conduction.

Similar set up for air as you, I clean it when the tube is basically fully of resin which is to say rarely, probs >=100bowls.
this is more realistic :)

The purple will come with a matching indicator, the black would be too hard to see.
the green really stands out, I honestly don't like the green (I wouldn't buy the green I mean) but as a indicator colour, the green really stands out in the videos and for that reason its tempesting to get one - purple would also work and would look better with my black highlights (sleeve) I think

I follow the way and I've managed to produce some nice hits with a uniform dark brown avb:love:, which I'm having trouble finding with the Wand, which obviously doesn't suit me too well with the Tempest either (this is already the case with the Anvil, TA and Fusion).
Definitely waiting for the Forge to play with an IH. Thank you for sharing
May I ask what's your preferred technique with the Tempest to get the best / optimal extraction? your go to? am looking to learn :), what torch do you use or what's your go to IH setup? as you seem to have a lot of practice withe one heat clear of the anvil and ta I would value your input.

EDIT: I left the miss type in there because it made me smile... "tempesting" is like VAS but just for Tempest stuff, like a bright green visual indicator just because.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
May I ask what's your preferred technique with the Tempest to get the best / optimal extraction? your go to? am looking to learn :), what torch do you use or what's your go to IH setup? as you seem to have a lot of practice withe one heat clear of the anvil and ta I would value your input.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking.
And it's by following your instructions for the 3-flame torch, stopping just before the 3rd line of the IV and letting it cool a little before drawing, that I get the best results.

Pretty dissapointed with the heat retention on my device. I've got around 43 3mm zirconia balls in mine and the heat retention isn't impressing me. I heat with both the wand and a torch. Does anyone know if the 2.5 mm zirconia balls retain heat a bit longer?

TheScamericann,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Pretty dissapointed with the heat retention on my device. I've got around 43 3mm zirconia balls in mine and the heat retention isn't impressing me. I heat with both the wand and a torch. Does anyone know if the 2.5 mm zirconia balls retain heat a bit longer?
The ball size does change the performance and heat retention but its less about the size of the balls and more about how you are using them. If you have a open airflow and breath deep, the heat retention is reduced and the smaller ball size will feel like it has slightly longer heat retention.

I find it more effective to slow down your breathing or close the airflow on the cap, as both of those techniques increase the length of time the device is at optimal temperature and increase the density of the vapour.

jbm

The ball size does change the performance and heat retention but its less about the size of the balls and more about how you are using them. If you have a open airflow and breath deep, the heat retention is reduced and the smaller ball size will feel like it has slightly longer heat retention.

I find it more effective to slow down your breathing or close the airflow on the cap, as both of those techniques increase the length of time the device is at optimal temperature and increase the density of the vapour.
I’ve been using my tempest exclusively with a CC Prophet, direct tube and closed airport. Cap airflow untouched. I get great heat retention. Wand at 600F to second click or solid light. Mine has whatever balls came in the November unit drop. I have no complaints. If you don’t have a Reload, I recommend you get one; it’s an indispensable tool for using the Tempest.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I’ve been using my tempest exclusively with a CC Prophet, direct tube and closed airport
What's the airflow on your cap set to? I use a Prophet (rip off) and I am happy with the extraction but I have the cap airflow only partially open and I kind of pepper the breath but that's my technique.

and I get great heat retention. Wand at 600F to second click or solid light. Mine has whatever balls came in the November unit drop.
I agree, I have little complaints about the retention but its still about how you use it more than but balls it has :)

I have no complaints. If you don’t have a Reload, I recommend you get one; it’s an indispensable tool for using the Tempest.
completely agree!

Top Bottom