SiC balls confusion

P3tz

I was looking for some SiC balls and it got me confused: There are a lot of different types of SiC. As siliconcarbide is only the base of those materials. Are most SiC balls available actually made out of siliconnitride? Is that the same as nitride bonded siliconcarbide? Do the properties of those materials differ because of their slightly different composition?
Can someone please explain this!? And clear up the confusion.

P3tz,
Reactions: Bologna

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I was looking for some SiC balls and it got me confused: There are a lot of different types of SiC. As siliconcarbide is only the base of those materials. Are most SiC balls available actually made out of siliconnitride? Is that the same as nitride bonded siliconcarbide? Do the properties of those materials differ because of their slightly different composition?
Can someone please explain this!? And clear up the confusion.
You know, jeez, I hadn't really thought about this for awhile... since I purchased like ten 6mm ones from what appeared to be a reputable place from China on eBay like 3-4 years ago.... still have 2 left that I'm using again now, too. I just ordered some more from a dif place on AliExpress, I do hope they're safe ones...!? They are the only things that haven't shipped yet, do you think I should cancel the order....? You have me worried....!:

SIC Ceramic balls 1.588 2.381 3 3.175 3.969 4 4.763 5 5.953 6 ( 10 PC) Silicon Carbide

Edit: I mean, I burned them off with a torch to white hot and dropped them in water when I got 'em and they appeared exactly the same so I used 'em.... eeek!

Last edited:
Bologna,

P3tz

Hmm, this seems a bit weird. I looked a bit more into it and from what I understand most available balls will be made out of silicon nitride due to the manufacturing process. And as far as my understanding goes they should all be save (1000°C plus). And the usual Si3N4 bearing balls should have an outer layer of glass (also due to manufacturing). If I got this right my main point of confusion was/is that there is silicium carbid (SiC) as a substance and there are all those SiC-ceramics (used as materials)... But I'm still not a 100% sure about this.

I also tend to overthink things.

P3tz,
Top Bottom