Qwiso re-wash?

Norlin

Classic Rocker
Made qwiso for the first time today, but I think I left the alcohol in too long. It's a dark green. Any possibility I can wait for it to dry and the re-wash the remaining oil to clean it up?

Norlin,

Sour Deez

Definitely, but you cant use ISO, you need some ethanol (grain alcohol). Redissolve the oil in the ethanol, put this in the freezer for 24-48hrs, this process is called winterizing, it will pull the unwanted waxes and water soluble stuff out of your oil. Refilter with unbleached coffee filter, evaporate the liquid and enjoy. You can use ethanol instead of ISO for your initail wash, its called QWET. Its not nearly as aggressive so you can do a 3 minute soak instead of 15-30 sec like ISO. Only downside is ethanol is more pricey.

The winterizing process is also used to clean up waxes out of BHO to make an even purer product some call Absolute Amber.

Sour Deez,

stroh

errl enthusiast
i dont think redissolving qwiso in ethanol will make much if any difference. both ethanol and iso are polar solvents, thus any waxes or plant fats would not have been absorbed in the first place, unlike using a non-polar solvent such as butane or hexane.

the reason for your dark green oil is the absorption of chlorophyll and plant matter, which cannot be separated at this point. It may be a bit harsher and taste more "planty", but it is still completely good to vape, and should still be quite potent.

stroh,

Sour Deez

You are right stroh, hexane or butane would be a much better choice for this. The ethanol should help pull out some waxes, your oil will still be dark, it wont make it perfect by any means, but it should help some.

Sour Deez,
If you use hexane for you re-extraction, do you just vac-purge it, or do you use a third solvent like ISO-hexane-ethanol?

SpinLover1,

stroh

errl enthusiast
redissolving in a nonpolar solvent after using a polar one for the initial extraction would be pointless.

stroh,

stroh

errl enthusiast
if your goal is an absolute, nonpolar before polar is the way to go.

stroh,
Will any of them work the same?

Non-polar solvents
Pentane CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 36 C 1.84 0.626 g/ml 0.00 D
Cyclopentane C5H10 40 C 1.97 0.751 g/ml 0.00 D
Hexane CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 69 C 1.88 0.655 g/ml 0.00 D
Cyclohexane C6H12 81 C 2.02 0.779 g/ml 0.00 D
Benzene C6H6 80 C 2.3 0.879 g/ml 0.00 D
Toluene C6H5-CH3 111 C 2.38 0.867 g/ml 0.36 D
1,4-Dioxane /-CH2-CH2-O-CH2-CH2-O-\ 101 C 2.3 1.033 g/ml 0.45 D
Chloroform CHCl3 61 C 4.81 1.498 g/ml 1.04 D
Diethyl ether CH3CH2-O-CH2-CH3 35 C 4.3 0.713 g/ml 1.15 D

SpinLover1,

stroh

errl enthusiast
yeah hexane would be easiest aside from butane, i was going to mention ether and chloroform as well, though they are much more dangerous to handle, and im sure harder to find as well.

stroh,
So let me get this straight. 1. hex + unprocessed material, 2. vac purge. 3. add ethanol. 4. freeze for like 24 hours (wish I could speed up this part). 5. filter. 6. add activated carbon?. 7. filter, 8 vac purge?????

SpinLover1,

stroh

errl enthusiast
you do not need to vac in between adding the ethanol to the hexane/material mixture, though you can if you desire. also remove the activated carbon step, it is unnecessary and every instance i've read about people using activated carbon with concentrate making is that it leaves behind a nasty taste. aside from that seems like a reasonable tech, my guess is a full 24 hours isn't needed in the freezer, though im sure its beneficial.

stroh,

StickyShisha2

SpinLover1 said:
So let me get this straight. 1. hex + unprocessed material, 2. vac purge. 3. add ethanol. 4. freeze for like 24 hours (wish I could speed up this part). 5. filter. 6. add activated carbon?. 7. filter, 8 vac purge?????

shouldn't there be a filter at step 2?

StickyShisha2,
Yeah, im thinking a permanent coffee filter for that step. And for the final filter a 0.2um filter.

SpinLover1,

stroh

errl enthusiast
StickyShisha said:
SpinLover1 said:

shouldn't there be a filter at step 2?

good catch there shisa, yeah filter the hexane/material mixture before adding the ethanol. good luck dude, be sure to post back here with your results.

stroh,
"be sure to post back here with your results". Will do so, but under a different assumed name, and done through a library computer. If I figure out how to do a traceless photo, I will post those too.

SpinLover1,
Top Bottom