Increased pain when vaping?

Melizzard

OK, I think I must be the only person on the planet to experience this ... but has anyone else had "increased" pain with marijuana? I know MMJ is supposed to help w/pain, but it tends to make me more body aware. If my back is aching, it might be enhanced when I medicate. If something itches, it itches way more. Does this happen to anyone else? I've been using indica-dominant, so I would think that wouldn't happen ... not a great thing for a cancer patient. :(

Melissa

lwien

Melissa, try lowering your dosage. I know that this sounds counter-intuitive, but I've read that although cannabis can lower pain, it can also increase pain if you over medicate, so in this instance, more is not better. Less is. Being that vaping kinda creeps up on ya, it's very easy to take in more than you should. Next time, just take one hit, and then wait about 10 to 15 minutes to see how you feel before taking another hit.

You are NOT the only person to experience this.

Also, next time you purchase your weed, get a PURE indica rather than an indica dominate strain.

Melizzard

lwien said:
Melissa, try lowering your dosage. I know that this sounds counter-intuitive, but I've read that although cannabis can lower pain, it can also increase pain if you over medicate, so in this instance, more is not better. Less is. Being that vaping kinda creeps up on ya, it's very easy to take in more than you should. Next time, just take one hit, and then wait about 10 to 15 minutes to see how you feel before taking another hit.

You are NOT the only person to experience this.

Also, next time you purchase your weed, get a PURE indica rather than an indica dominate strain.
Yeah, that makes sense ... but I walk a really fine line. If I don't do enough, my appetite doesn't get triggered. There is a sweet spot, somewhere between not doing enough and getting bitch-slapped into next week :o that is just right for making me eat. Since staying right on that line is difficult for me, and I'm using an E, I just ordered a PD! ;) I'm expecting that to be my new best friend ... cuz sometimes this E can be my worst enemy! LOL

I'm pretty sure I have a pure indica ... it was the best kush they had ... off the "premium liquor" shelf. ;)

Melissa

Melizzard,

duh

Melizzard said:
it was the best kush they had ... off the "premium liquor" shelf.
Go to a different place. Try the 'schwag'. The whole high/low end is mostly, but not entirely subjective.

For a weird reason, I find indica shake to work better for me - and it often has a nicer taste.

tuttle

Personally for me, vaping at high temps is what gives me a pretty effective analgesic effect. Temps to low tend to give me the effect that you are discribing (I have a vape that has an analog dial, so I couldn't tell you exactly what temp I am using, but I crank it up pretty high and take very slow draws). Also finding the right stain for you will help, so keep testing out different ones until one that works for you.

Good luck!

Also, not that what works for one person will work for another so I don't put to much faith in this list, but it might help to serve as a general guide or starting point for finding something that will work better for you:

http://420magazine.com/forums/medic...-specific-medical-marijuana-strain-guide.html

Melizzard

duh said:
Melizzard said:
Go to a different place. Try the 'schwag'. The whole high/low end is mostly, but not entirely subjective.

For a weird reason, I find indica shake to work better for me - and it often has a nicer taste.
OK, really stupid newb question ... what's schwag? Is that the "lower end" stuff? And one bad thing about where I get mine ... I had found a great one ... but the next time I went back (1-hour drive each way), they didn't have that kind. That has happened to me three times now. :(

Plus, I'm discovering that what these growers call a strain isn't necessarily what another grower does. For example, I really liked Pink Jasmine for sativa, but can't even find reference to it on the internet. The indica I liked best was Rascal OG kush.

It's gonna get even squirrelier when I start growing my own and trying to figure out what to buy!

Melissa

Melizzard,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Melissa - just my experience, but when you grow your own, it is much better. You should be able to grab a clone of your favorite variety and control the nutrients that go into it. If you can grow in soil and use organic nutrients, even better. You will taste the difference immediately!

Hopefully you can find a good dispensary that carries quality clones...I'm in the SF area, if you need any help finding a good source, I can help.

stonemonkey55,

Melizzard

stonemonkey55 said:
Melissa - just my experience, but when you grow your own, it is much better. You should be able to grab a clone of your favorite variety and control the nutrients that go into it. If you can grow in soil and use organic nutrients, even better. You will taste the difference immediately!

Hopefully you can find a good dispensary that carries quality clones...I'm in the SF area, if you need any help finding a good source, I can help.
Thanks so much ... but I'm currently not living in a place where I can ... medical user or not. But I'll be moving to CO within the next couple of months and THEN I can! ;)

Durden

I am Jack's title
I smoke to mitigate back and leg pain and I completely agree with tuttle about temperatures. Without the full temperature range the effects on pain mitigation will be varied at best. I think of it like your body asking for more (or in this case different) vapor, and when that happens to me I usually just vape more until the effects go away. In some cases however you can over drag on the whip or bong and tire out your lungs and back, or swallow too much air and create pockets that create pressure on your internals.

I've found that personally I get the best experience out of my E by using the elbow pack and putting in some blonde hash with my herb, you don't have to use anything higher than around 220 (I usually do 205-215 depending on types) and it gives the full range of effect. You can pack only half or less of the elbow with this method if you don't need as much. Kief also works well for this but disappears faster.

Edit: Oops 205-215.... I was thinking 1 at 05, 1 at 10, 1 at 15 which is what I normally do (and was at the time of writing) :o

Melizzard

Cool! I've been using the elbow pack too ... I have the V3 E and I put the elbow on and crank it up to 260 for 15 minutes. Then I do a light hit, turn it off, then another light hit. That's all I need ... if I do more I get way more wasted than I like (like I accidentally did yesterday), so I am vaping at higher temps.

Guess I bring new meaning to the phrase "Zero tolerance drug policy?" :D

Melissa

Melizzard,

HoneyAir

Certain strains set me off in a bad way... I'm usually wondering what is going on until I switch to a different strain/bag, and then the difference is starkly clear.

So even if what you have is supposedly the best off the shelf, you might want to check out all kinds of samples until you find one that hits home. At that point all the information on the internet pales in comparison to what is self evident.

Good luck!

HoneyAir,

Melizzard

DeepFried said:
have all of your strains been causing this or just the latest one?
Causing what, the increased pain or the getting wasted really easily?

Melissa

Melizzard,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
One time I fell on my bike super hard and got a ton of road rash and some huge bruises and shit it was bad. Anyways I was like oh shit I better ride home and get reeally high before the pain sets in. I get home blow a fat bag, lie down and five minutes later all the cuts and bruises on my body start throbbing, hard. Like crazy painful throbbing that felt really weird but it was also one of the more painful things I've ever felt.

Anyways, msybe you get too high off too little weed for your body to even notice the pain relieving effects.

bluntfaced,

Beezleb

Bluntfaced, I would think you felt more pain because as you laid down and relaxed the adrenalin would wear off and you kind of stabilize a bit.

Beezleb,

Melizzard

bluntfaced said:
Anyways, msybe you get too high off too little weed for your body to even notice the pain relieving effects.
Great ... that's really not cool for a cancer patient. :(

Melizzard,

UrDoinItWrong

Relax, don't take that as fact Mellisa, he's just speculating. I suspect that the "EXTREME"!!!!$@$!!!! might not be the most conducive vape for someone with a low tolerance looking for an analgesic effect, haha. I bet you will love your PD and it's smaller capacity and it will most likely be way easier to control accidentally getting over-vaked. ;)

Also I've read in a few medical articles that especially in regards to neuropathic pain, lower doses were just as, if not more effective than high doses. GL peace!!!

UrDoinItWrong,

duh

Melizzard said:
duh said:
Melizzard said:

OK, really stupid newb question ... what's schwag? Is that the "lower end" stuff? And one bad thing about where I get mine ... I had found a great one ... but the next time I went back (1-hour drive each way), they didn't have that kind. That has happened to me three times now. :(

Plus, I'm discovering that what these growers call a strain isn't necessarily what another grower does. For example, I really liked Pink Jasmine for sativa, but can't even find reference to it on the internet. The indica I liked best was Rascal OG kush.

It's gonna get even squirrelier when I start growing my own and trying to figure out what to buy!

Melissa
Yes, schwag=lower end stuff. It's mostly in the eye of the beholder. A good salesperson would tell you. For example, when the flowers don't turn purple, they sell it as something else, etc. On my website, I have a blog post on "Those Crazy Strain Names" and the consensus is that they just make the stuff up.

Don't get caught up on a name, pay closer attention to the flower - you will likely find this mis-named "pink jasmine" or "rascal og kush" again someday. :)

Also, I hope you are mentioning that you are a cancer patient, especially if you are finding the stuff $$$; most places will give you a discount, especially if you buy some shake and vape that too. :2c:

Melizzard

Well, I typically mention that I'm a cancer patient, but that doesn't get anyone's attention. However, for being a veteran, I DO get a discount! ;)

Melizzard,

lwien

UrDoinItWrong said:
Also I've read in a few medical articles that especially in regards to neuropathic pain, lower doses were just as, if not more effective than high doses. GL peace!!!
Yup. Read those article too as they also said that high doses could be worse for pain than no doses at all and that you should take just enough that is needed to lower the pain. That's why I strongly suggested to wait about 10 minutes between hits. The PD is really perfect for this kind of application.

lwien,

Beezleb

I also agree with the advice of using a little bit then waiting and the PD and Myrtlezap "stem" vaporizers are great for that efficiency.

For a medical purpose I would only ensure that you have regular lung strength as these vapes are not as easily to draw on in comparison to a general wand based vaporizer but this is only a real issue in my opinion if you have lung strength issues.

Beezleb,

Choism

It's easy to get over-vaked with my iolite, gotta watch how much you pack in that thing.
It's so nice though :) it doesn't feel anything like over-smoking.

Choism,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Beezleb said:
Bluntfaced, I would think you felt more pain because as you laid down and relaxed the adrenalin would wear off and you kind of stabilize a bit.
Not the first time I've fallen on my bike dude I know the difference between adrenaline waearing off and crazy weird high pains. Like I said, I vaped because I knew the adenaline was gonna wear off.

You guys sure like to try to prove people wrong.

bluntfaced,

Melizzard

Maybe this "top shelf" strain is, indeed, too much ... maybe it's got a high enough content that I can overmedicate with just one hit. Too bad the dispensary is an hour away! :(

Melissa

Melizzard,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Try smoking a little bit of it...

I get better pain relief smoking, if you straight can't handle the smoke vape it at 260 maybe but that tastes kinda gross I think.

bluntfaced,
Top Bottom