Glass Artist and Glass Function Discussion

SkollIstKrieg

Hello FC!

I found our new sub-forums today and think they're awesome! To start, I have always wanted to have a thread discussing different glassblowers and different pieces they have made. The reason? So we have a good thread of knowledge for people trying to decide between pieces, or wondering, how does one piece diffuse/filter/hit over another?

Off the bat, one new player to the scene I've been following is Mobius Glassworks. Currently I own a Mobius nano with a Matrix perc. The thing is a beast! It has the least amount of drag of all my pieces(did I mention its the only 2 chambered piece i own?) and provides for an amazingly smooth hit! For the last year it seems CiRcLe from Mobius has been working hard to create new and innovative percolators, using very thick borosilicate glass. My Mobius nano is the thickest and most solid piece i own.

Currantly Im thinking of getting another mobius piece. Specifically the Ion bubbler with the retti perc. The reason is, is because I have never tried anything that has a perc inside a perc like this piece does, so I believe itll have quite interesting diffusion.

However, I have also always wanted a piece from sovereignty glass, what I'm thinking of is the Mini King Stemline for its can shape(love how it looks) and to finally try a sovereignty piece!

So FC, I ask of you, has anyone tried these pieces together or have any comment on using them individually? I'm very interested in both :brow:

SkollIstKrieg,

Nycdeisel

First I want to say thanks for creating this thread, and I hope there will be lots of good glass discussion to come! With this new sub forum should come much more glass content! im excited!

I love scientific glass and functionality.I know you probably dont want my opinion here but I thought I would share it anyway, I have not tried either of the pieces you are looking at but they seem like very different pieces. stemlines are pretty simple in design but the perc inside a perc is more complex and unique. Ultimately it is up to you...

and I would really like to see you compare these two Mobius pieces :p

Best of luck with your decision!

And heres steve bates YT channel, theres some great stuff there to discuss!
http://www.youtube.com/user/glassbates

lets start with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LC7EHOPGw0&feature=channel_video_title

Nycdeisel,

SD_haze

Cereal bowl bong?
tumblr_lgmok5Tf251qze1jno1_500.jpg

A contender has arrived.
tumblr_lm1sdjoinv1qdem2po1_500.jpg

SD_haze,

Pappy

shmaporist
@ Skol > I view Moby nano as 3 chamber piece since splash guard functions as perc. I've described my nano dragless perc as hitting like a miniature golf course, short and full of obstacles. Love it but not interested in doubling down on Moby. His other pipes and bubs don't interest me like the nano did. I count my SG natty splash 60mm and king mini 75mm Stemlines as keepers, OTOH, and envision adding a Peyote Pillar down the road. IMO there's no finer pipe/perc maker than Sovereignty!

Pappy,

SkollIstKrieg

@Nyc ~ opinions always welcomed! Sweet vids, the cereal bowl is crazy!

@SD Haze ~ LOL isnt the beer mug by SGW?

@ papppy~ Thanks for the recommendation! Makes me want to try the stemline even more! However, I do want to recommend you check out the Matrix perc at some point. The thing rivals most stackers I've seen, but if I end up getting a stemline, Im interested to see how exactly they compare side by side. Just wanted to mention this, because of the matrix perc being so awesome that Im dying to try the retti to see how well that functions.

How about this as food for this discussion...What is your favorite perc/diffy you have tried so far? How does it compare to your other pieces?

Out of the pieces I have owned, my ultimate favs so far are the Matrix perc and the LW 15 arm. Matrix has a super solid purr very much like a circ that stacks insane amounts of bubbles while maintaining little-to no drag. I dig the 15-arm as I love the gluggy-ness of it for oil hits mainly. Also it just appears to diffuse well. How I can tell is, vapor resin/residue takes a while to build up(longer than other pieces) and when it does collect, it spreads out on the glass as a constant film, as opposed to concentrated spots on the glass where the resin/residue tends to build up. Really when it comes down to it IMHO, the Mobius nano with the matrix perc is perfect for buds/flowers, while the 15-arm is perfect for oils and concentrates.

However I believe my maybe future purchases of a stemline and/or( :D ) a retti perc may change both of these choices. Mainly cause the SG stemline looks to stack like the matrix and the Retti perc looks to have similar gluggy-ness to the 15 arm. Time will tell ;)

EDIT: spelling...

SkollIstKrieg,

jackmormon

You should really try a stemline if you can get your hands on one. I have an ion Matrix bubbler and an SG 60mm full size bub with the natty splash (similar to Pappy's). My favorite for vapor use is the the ion Matrix for sure. The perc is sweet but more importantly it is a great size volume wise for me. Plus it is the most flawless glass piece I have ever seen. Not one imperfection. The SG is larger than I like to use and it came with a few imperfections, but it is handmade. Just not as clean as the Mobius. That being said, there is something special about the stemline perc that is hard to explain. It will shoot bubbles 8 or 9 inches with little perceptible drag. The whole feel of the perc is unlike anything else I have experienced. It kind of seems like that it is a product of exemplary engineering and not just fine glass.

This is why I check ALT every day for one of the 60mm minis to show up with a BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME button available :mad:

jackmormon,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
These sub forums are very dangerous as I have just managed to halt my glass buying bug for a little while.
My two favorites at the moment are my Mobius Matrix bubbler and the Toro Micro Circ.
They are both beautiful almost flawless pieces of glasswork and do most of the work in my house.
When I want some larger hits the EFS Donut Perc treats me just right!
When I'm on the go I have my Headford disc bubbler and plush padded case for it. This is one of the most aesthetically pleasing pieces I have and fits in my hand like it was destined to be there. Extremely impressive design for such a tiny piece! Tour around with my Solo and Supreme v2

psyshaman,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
That's funny I just made my first glass purchase in a looooooooong time and it happened to be an Matrix Ion. Happy to jump on the bandwagon, though and I'm really glad to hear the positive comments on its use for vapor as well as the exacting construction. Dig the sandblasted logos as well. Being such a glass neophyte it almost feels wrong to be able to pick up such an innovative, high quality piece for such a (relatively) low price. As I understand it, ciRclE the man behind Mobius Glassworks has been at it since 2000 and is one of the few producing original designs. Does that sound about right? Struggling to stay on topic here.

It's great to see so many knowledgeable folks here as well, I'm looking forward to learning. :)

P.S. Someone needs to release a certain VXC video. :brow:

vtac,

hereatlast

vtac said:
As I understand it, ciRclE the man behind Mobius Glassworks has been at it since 2000 and is one of the few producing original designs. Does that sound about right?

From what I've read, heard and seen it seems that ciRclE is indeed doing some very original stuff (would still love a water-test on one of those Matrix's). It seems a lot of the glass game of the past few years has been very quickly innovating on the same designs over and over (Vertigo's showerheads will certainly hit much differently than NameBrandGlass's or Toro's for instance); in that light, its cool to see Mobius putting out original stuff. A decade in the game and he's still clearly testing the waters. Enjoy the piece vtac, would love some pics if permissible!

An aside: The transition of focus from products made for flowers to those made for oil/concentrates happened amazingly fast IMO. Personally I've found I like a piece that has a little of both of these approaches: enough water and diffusion to keep things interesting but in a small-form that maintains taste. Those basic qualities are often times conflicting but its always fun finding the "right" hit.
Either way, it seems obvious that most glass-blowers aren't making stuff specifically for vaporists, its interesting to think about where we stand at the end of the day with a prodo. piece that may have never been paired to a vaporizer! Custom pieces are always fun for this reason (and others) but a whole other ballgame IME.

Sounds like an exclusive VXC production is close to breaching :cool:

hereatlast,

Pappy

shmaporist
Lotta Matrix love, gotta revisit that. ;)
Re: errl... Amazed by meteoric assent of rigs but hard to gauge mainstream popularity. Easy to see how glassblowers that spend 10 hours a day on a torch would fall in love with dabbing but in practice I find it messy and hard on the respiratory system. My hunch is errl and vapor are on the fringe and smoking flowers is still the giant pot belly of the mainstream. :brow: Would love to see accurate stats on percentage of smokers versus vaporists and dabbers. errl definitely has contributed to shifting sans on the glass scene, especially relative to size.

Pappy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
vtac said:
That's funny I just made my first glass purchase in a looooooooong time and it happened to be an Matrix Ion. Happy to jump on the bandwagon, though and I'm really glad to hear the positive comments on its use for vapor as well as the exacting construction. Dig the sandblasted logos as well. Being such a glass neophyte it almost feels wrong to be able to pick up such an innovative, high quality piece for such a (relatively) low price. As I understand it, ciRclE the man behind Mobius Glassworks has been at it since 2000 and is one of the few producing original designs. Does that sound about right? Struggling to stay on topic here.

It's great to see so many knowledgeable folks here as well, I'm looking forward to learning. :)

Happy to have found this thread! Ask and you shall receive

http://youtu.be/SU1uSrHr7Kk

How are you enjoying it so far? The Matrix is an awesome perc IMO... the video says it all

stonemonkey55,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
How are you enjoying it so far?
Still waiting for it to get here from ALT. :(

Hoping for tomorrow! Somehow your link got messed up, fixed it. Actually I downloaded the 720 mp4 file from youtube a while back to drool over on demand. :D

vtac,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I'm still trying to learn about percs and not blow good money, but God help me I'm staring at a stemless shower head/splash guard/ice pinch and this intoxicatingly beautiful swiss perc bubbler (ahh the $$$).

Is it possible to get a definition of some terms? I've got a general idea, but would like to know what a waffle perc is, for example. I've heard the term stem line, but....? Halo perc? Slide? Drag? Diffusion? Filtration?

Tom

tdavie,

SD_haze

tdavie said:
I'm still trying to learn about percs and not blow good money, but God help me I'm staring at a stemless shower head/splash guard/ice pinch and this intoxicatingly beautiful swiss perc bubbler (ahh the $$$).

Is it possible to get a definition of some terms? I've got a general idea, but would like to know what a waffle perc is, for example. I've heard the term stem line, but....? Halo perc? Slide? Drag? Diffusion? Filtration?

Tom

a slide is a removeable bowl
drag is how hard you have to inhale to create airflow. heavy drag makes it heard to milk & clear
diffusion involves filtration. the more diffused, the more filtered the vapor, the smoother but less tasty and minor potency loss

waffle perc is very similar to the stemline.
its a very simple, but effective design.
zero drag with low water but you can add water and get great filtration

ive owned a halo perc.
its nothing TOO special, generally theres more drag than trees but better filtration.
honestly its more of a smoke perc IMO, better choices for vapor
one big disadvantage, you really need it to be straight vertical for it to bubble right

the biggest thing with percolators is to get one that is made very well.
theres nothing like a poorly designed/blown perc to ruin a bong

SD_haze,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Nice writeup SD. A sticky covering the basics of glass is on the to do list. For now there's very informative intro here.

vtac,
stonemonkey55 said:
vtac said:

Happy to have found this thread! Ask and you shall receive

http://youtu.be/SU1uSrHr7Kk

How are you enjoying it so far? The Matrix is an awesome perc IMO... the video says it all

Awesome video Stonemonkey!

I had a empathetic urge to hack a lung when you cleared the huge hit at 1:12.

On the topic of percs, I prefer a well made inline, but haven't tried any of the new, out-there perc designs so can't say if they're an improvement.

charliedontsurf,

hereatlast

Inlines are a tried and true classic IMO. I've got two in my arsenal (though one is only temporary) made by the inventor himself and the simplicity of the inline (design as well as function) is just hard to beat IMO. For me an inline provides an easy and steady draw, especially with lower water levels; I think in general (and IME) this is because an inline is one of the easiest percolators to displace air through.

hereatlast,

gvape

I just got this Mobius Reti Ion and I love it. Also use a matrix nano all the time and although its nice, I still prefer the bubbler. I wouldnt mind picking up a matrix as well. Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the Reti... take pictures... or video. Only really have used it with the Toasty Top, Underdog, and Omicron, yet to try it with any of the bigger vapes I got.

Heres some videos I already have taken of it.

Underdog & Mobius Ion Reti
Underdog 13v & Mobius Ion Reti
Toasty Top & Mobius Ion Reti
Underdog + Vapor Tamer + Mobius Ion Reti

gvape,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
very nice vids! thanks for the demo. i was surprised to hear that you like the bubbler better than the nano - i would prefer the nano, even though i haven't hit either of them, i like the two stage filtration.

also, i have doubts that you have used your bubbler with the omicron. if this is true then please post a vid of how you did it! did it clog afterwards?

notmyrealUSERname,

gvape

I like how the bubbler sits.... I can just place the vape on top and let go. When I use the nano I have to hold on to it, really worried it would fall. Not nearly as stable. Plus anything after 1 perc really isnt needed in my eyes, the vapor is not nearly as dry or hot when it filters once.

I used it 3 times. The first hit was so massive and milky that I couldnt stop coughing, I felt like it was one of the first dabs I took. Second hit worked well too, but not as good, and the third hit, well the one I recorded was so bad looking. I weighed my cart and realized I only have .3 left in it, so that is one reason why its barely producing vapor. Lastly, it didnt clog, but the oil starting to slowly flow towards the top, I think thats another reason why hit 3 was so weak. I have an angled adapter I will try in the next video as soon as I fill my cart. But yes it is possible, and I will post the video as soon as I refill the cartomizer, the one I took is just a joke, cant even see the omicron.

To give you an idea of how I used it was I took my GONG adapter w/ UD tube and shove the metal cartomizer in to the tube.

gvape,

vbeazy

No way! Those cereal and beer bongs. :brow:

HAL, you've made me realize I have never tried an inline. You know I may buy one to test. I just missed a nice SGW too.

I'm also interested in Mobius. They seem to be innovative and quality. I'm starting to see myself collecting glass again, which wasn't on my list! :uhoh: You should post photos/videos!

My only SG is a worked Stem 8 and I must say, it's beautiful - even for vapor. I defiantly appreciate SG quality. Comparing to my old Toro Circ/Circ (only other scientific double chamber I had) I would defiantly choose the SG. The Toro was great so don't get me wrong. However they're very different, the SG seems to have less of a chug and drag. It may even be smoother.

I would like to try a downgrid SG mini, preferably the bent neck but that's a cosmetic choice. I don't know if I want the king or regular though.

My other favorite right now is the worked BC 2011 Circ bubbler. It's replaced my main piece (a worked SGW Waffle bubbler). I had a real love for that SGW so if I could choose either, I would choose the Waffle. Defiantly a must try. Very smooth and flavorful, zero drag hits. I'm trying to repair mine.

vbeazy,

SD_haze

Zach P is badass heady glass !

After watching a video on how he made these hot rod derby bubblers, instantly became a fan
The wheels move, the dude moves, scythe is removable, and the engine is like an inline i believe

ZP_Hot_Rod_Derby_%234_001__46928_zoom.jpg

ZP_Hot_Rod_Derby_%234_012__92536_zoom.jpg

Top Bottom