Da Buddha versus Extreme Q (Side-by-Side Comparison)

Pappy

shmaporist
Never owned a vape before. Now own two.
Da Buddha (DBV) > 5 weeks old
Extreme Q (EQV) > 1 day old

Like circumventing the globe from the east and the west only to arrive in the same place -- vapor -- DBV and EQV take diametrically different approaches to acomplish the same task.

DBV is zenlike in its simplicity, design, and purpose. It's a whip style vape of the hands-free variety. A thick beveled stainless steel cylinder with a hole cut for the wand, the DBV initially reminded me of one of those steel ash cans bums burn wood in to warm their hands in winter. But over the past month the simplicity of its design really grew on me -- SS and GonG -- high end materials that look great on a table.

My heart sank when I opened the box and saw the EQV. It reminded me of a coffee carafe from IHOP. The design is typical of inventors who don't employ industrial engineers and instead collaborate with their manufacturers -- a hodgepodge of disparate design elements and materials. Oh, did I mention it has blue LED mood lights in the base?

OK, forgetting the EQV looks like a prop from "Hot Tub Time Machine" how do these two machines stack up vape-wise? Which begs the question -- are you looking for efficiency or instant gratification? For the latter go with the DBV. It warms up in 3 minutes and gives consistent giganda vapor hits. If you seek efficiency the EQV is your baby!

Let's do the math. With the DBV I get approximately 6-8 hits with .2g... 2-4 hits @ 12 o'clock > 2 hits @ 2 o'c and 2 hits @ 3 o'c.

Just had an insane whip session with the EQV... Used .4g in the cyclone bowl and must've gotten 2 dozen hits! Started @ 200 after "percolating" herb for 15 minutes and drew most vapor @ 210-215. Quit @ 230. By my arithmetic that makes the EQV 25-50% more efficient than DBV.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Vaked out of my gourde, I dumped EQV ABV after an hour.
Guess what? My DBV got 6 more goods hits off of the EQV's ABV!

Your comments?

Pappy,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
It will be interesting to see what you think after living with the Q for a month.

stickstones,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Just as an aside, I have neither of those two vapes but I do have the same exact cordless phone.
I have a SSV which is very similar to the DB. TokinGLX made a few really good videos demonstrating just
how efficient and powerful the SSV is - I would imagine the DB is just as efficient.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
thanks - I've not spent a lot of money in total on my vapes, once in a while I keep my eye out for used vapes on craigslist, i found a vapor bros a few minutes from here virtually new for $70.
i found a vapor warez 3g on ebay for about $35, which is great also.
for efficiency and for just a sublime vaporizing experience i can't recommend the PD enough, especially for someone who already has some good vapes to tide them over through the 3 month
wait period.

jeffp,

Pappy

shmaporist
jeffp said:
thanks - I've not spent a lot of money in total on my vapes, once in a while I keep my eye out for used vapes on craigslist, i found a vapor bros a few minutes from here virtually new for $70.
i found a vapor warez 3g on ebay for about $35, which is great also.
for efficiency and for just a sublime vaporizing experience i can't recommend the PD enough, especially for someone who already has some good vapes to tide them over through the 3 month
wait period.
Oh, I didn't know Tom and Pammy were taking orders again. Might have to get on that list.

Pappy,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
pappy...I didn't realize earlier that the pic is in your sig. We're gonna need you to get rid of it or make it way smaller since it is in every post you make. Thanks!

educated guess...I think you will appreciate both equally. In the end, unless you end up liking bags better, I think you will use dbv more. The Extreme was my first vape and I have fond memories of using it, but now that I've gotten to where all I wanted was a whip unit, my ssv gets all that attention.

stickstones,

Pappy

shmaporist
stickstones said:
pappy...I didn't realize earlier that the pic is in your sig. We're gonna need you to get rid of it or make it way smaller since it is in every post you make. Thanks!

educated guess...I think you will appreciate both equally. In the end, unless you end up liking bags better, I think you will use dbv more. The Extreme was my first vape and I have fond memories of using it, but now that I've gotten to where all I wanted was a whip unit, my ssv gets all that attention.
stickstone > Yeah, I'll fix the pic. Having blown a few bagfuls I can confirm I'm a whippie. Bags are just too weird for me. They make me laugh my ass of for all the wrong reasons! :lol: The EQ bags hold 4 inhales worth of stale (IMO) vapor. I want fresh vapor that goes directly from percolating into my lungs. Only a whip or direct inhale system can do that!

Day 2 into the EQ I can tell you this. I appreciate the fact you can leave the whip in the EQ between hits and walk away. I can't do that with DBV. I hold the whip and wand between hits. I also appreciate the longer vape sessions and being able to sit through them.

This morning I vaped approximately .5g in the cyclone bowl and got 20 hits on one bowl. The ABV was orange so I decided to vape with DBV @ 2 o'c. The ABV combusted (something I never experienced before) which indicates the EQV did a thorough job.

Pappy,

CouchLocked420

im struggling to decide between SSV,DBV and extreme Q, i think i would mainly be using the whip so it would make sense to go for SSV OR DBV, but occasionally when i have friends up the extreme q would be so much easier for people who have never used a vape. i like how solid the SSV and DBV seem where as the extreme looks a bit delicate for my clumsy stoner hands, it also seems there is a lot that could potentially go wrong on it. another thing i read somewhere that put me off somewhat, was the thermostat only measures the heater tempature and not the actual air tempature. is this true.

CouchLocked420,

Pappy

shmaporist
CouchLocked420 said:
im struggling to decide between SSV,DBV and extreme Q, i think i would mainly be using the whip so it would make sense to go for SSV OR DBV, but occasionally when i have friends up the extreme q would be so much easier for people who have never used a vape. i like how solid the SSV and DBV seem where as the extreme looks a bit delicate for my clumsy stoner hands, it also seems there is a lot that could potentially go wrong on it. another thing i read somewhere that put me off somewhat, was the thermostat only measures the heater tempature and not the actual air tempature. is this true.
You won't go wrong with any of them. The EQV is more idiot-proof in that it has a 2 screen system. Blowing into the DBV wand with its one screen isn't pretty. Probably the weakest part on the DBV and SSV are the rheostat on/off buttons. I'd say the electronics on the EQV are less accident prone unless the chip fails. The EQV is a solid unit but if I had to hit someone in a fight I'd swing the DBV. ;)

Pappy,

stinkmeaner

Pappy said:
Probably the weakest part on the DBV and SSV are the rheostat on/off buttons. I'd say the electronics on the EQV are less accident prone unless the chip fails.
I'd say that is the exact opposite, there is way more to go wrong in the EQ, rheostats are simple and can be replaced by just about anyone. The Seventh Floor has had an original SSV that has been on constantly for years, they might have replaced a part or two but I wouldn't do that with a EQ.

stinkmeaner,

Pappy

shmaporist
stinkmeaner said:
Pappy said:
Probably the weakest part on the DBV and SSV are the rheostat on/off buttons. I'd say the electronics on the EQV are less accident prone unless the chip fails.
I'd say that is the exact opposite, there is way more to go wrong in the EQ, rheostats are simple and can be replaced by just about anyone. The Seventh Floor has had an original SSV that has been on constantly for years, they might have replaced a part or two but I wouldn't do that with a EQ.
I've heard about the legendary SSV and agree with you that rheostats are simple to replace. Had 7th floor turned that SSV on and off every night -- or several times a day -- it is possible its rheostat might have failed by now. I have nothing against rheostats, it's simply a matter of wear and tear. There are no mechanical parts on a chip to fail OTOH. That's all I was suggesting. Chips fail, rheostats fail, vapes fail... On that I'm sure we can agree. :)

Pappy,

LOCKSTOCK93

I've had the DBV and an EQ for around equal periods and I've come to enjoy the EQ much more.

As mentioned in the above posts, there are some usage issues with the DBV that detract from it's (considerable) qualities enough to put the EQ in front(IMO).

First - from time to time, you'll get some particulate material around the element of the DBV, which will burn, smoke, and stink. Not the traditional, pleasant smoke, but rather an acrid and harsh stench. Any time you blow at all through the whip, this can happen, and often will.

Second - because the wand slides into the DBV's side and doesn't have a latch, it's easily pulled out, spilling your "whatever" and dangling a very hot wand in your direction.

Third - did i mention that the wand was hot? It's HOT. I know, I know, of course it's hot, it was right next to an element!! But, it's prone to slipping and moving quickly towards you, so HOT matters.

Fourth, the screen and glassware on the DBV are a nuisance to clean and often allow particulate through to you, the breather.

Now, I think the DBV is a good vaporizer, but the reality is, there are shortcomings in the design and those shortcomings make for annoyances.

The EQ's fitting is on the top of the unit so minor tugs don't do anything but tilt the unit momentarily(no spilling or burning).

Additionally, the whip end swivels for easy sharing, and burning your "whatever" just doesn't happen.

The screen system and glassware arrangement are also great - I pull them off from time to time(gently, as the elbow pieces are fragile) and drop them in some purple power for a complete clean.

The EQ's elbow hits are great, the cyclone bowls are fine, and the bags are a treat fit for groups and getting worked over by your lonesome. If you're a perfectionist, an economic vape-er, or an inventive sort there are ways to manipulate both units to fit your desires, but the out of the box winner is, HANDS DOWN (THE EQ WHIP TRULY IS HANDS FREE) The Extreme Quiet

I know that after a half dozen or so o's in each, i'll stick with my EQ for the future - especially since they are so close in price. Honestly, I just bought another EQ to give my brother as a "here you go; this thing's awesome" gift - consider the Extreme.

LOCKSTOCK93,

Bobbert

So i have been a daily smoker for years now. Awhile ago I owned a volcano and I used it exclusively for awhile. I got tired of how long it took. I have also used a vapor brothers, and a heat gun. Then I did not use vaping for a year or more. I just liked how instant the smoke is and the burn/expansion in the lungs. I just figured I would go back to vaporizing at some point in time. Well I am now in a new relationship. He wishes that I sort of get healthier in the smoking habits. I cant smoke in the house when I move in. So I am mostly smoking in my car right now. I purchased a iolite and I have not been pleased with it. Then I got a launch box. It is ok but I am just not %100 happy with it.

I decided to get a plug in vaporizer and just use an ac/dc adaptor. Well he will let me use a vaporizer in the house if it does not produce much odor. I am split between Da Budda (DBV) and the ExtremeQ vaporizer (EQV). I am leaning more toward the EQV because you can do Bag and Whip. Also I think it would work better in my car durability wise resting. I think the EQV resting on my seat with the whip up vs the glass coming out the side like DBV is better. Also I think the bags might make it smell a little less but who knows. I think I would like the whips more though. I have used DBV once with some schwag back in texas and it was not bad. That is the only reason I am considering it. I really do think I am more interested in the EQV. I love this forum. I used to be a very active member over at grasscity. I just like the imput you guys have on vapes. Helped me decided on the iolite and the launch box.

What do you guys think for my situation.

I like thick almost smoke like hits (for the expansion feeling and the warmth)

Ability to go in my car with ac/dc adapter I have and move in to the house when I can.

Speed is semi important. I don't want to sit in my car forever using it.

Devices that produce less odor better for me to use indoors.

I think it is the EQV but I am just not quite sure.

The Herbalaire Vaporizer but and not too sure about that one. Leaning more towards the EQV for the way it is laid out and the ability to switch between bag and whip.

Anyway heading to my local store to pick one up soon. Just wanted to get some last min input.

Bobbert,

Bobbert

I am struggling with this very decision. I sort of made a repetitive post about it oops. It is a hard choice.

Bobbert,

thelostpizza

Hey im considering pretty much the vapes you're looking at, and the one thing I have determined is that if you want easy car use the herbal aire would be a pain if you want to do bag hits as it has its own seperate power chord

thelostpizza,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
bobbert...consider one of the log-style vapes (PD, AZ/MZ, WDZ), as they would work great in the car. The downsides are warmup time (but you can warm it up inside and take it to the car with its cig lighter adapter) and hit size (a session with one of these can take up to four times as long as a good whip vape).

pappy...it sounds like you like the dbv better, but that is the one you are selling?

stickstones,

Pappy

shmaporist
@ lockstock93 > Very articulate and astute review. I agree with everything you say. To add a little balance, if your looking for instant gratification then DBV is your choice. EQV takes extra warmup time and coddling. Also, I find DBV produces milkier vapor. It's true the wand and screen system on DBV is more accident prone. I'm coming to think of it as a more "personal" vape. However, I like the DBV ritual of holding the whip between takes and swizzling the bowl.

It may be my technique but I find EQV harder to draw (even with fan assistance)
and therefore harsher on my throat. I'm not really into using the elbow bowl technique because DBV blows EQV out of the water for that kind of vaping. Herb gets into the elbow using the cyclone bowl anyway. At any rate I find EQV harsher.

Which brings me to the amount of herb required by each. DBV requires about .2g to work most efficiently. EQV requires at least .5g in the cyclone bowl to work efficiently. Therefore, DBV is the winner for short hit and run sessions.

OTOH, by my calculations EQV is around 25% more efficient than DBV utilizing herb -- hit-wise. I get around 4 hits per .1g with EQV and 3 hits per .1g with DBV. This morning I'm already at my 15th hit of Blue Dream @ 215 on EQV in a .5g bowl. I haven't even hit 220 yet -- several hits to go! And it's nice to get up and write this then go back and toke. Couldn't do that with a DBV. My current .5g could take as many as 3 or 4 .2g DBV bowls to get me as stoned and I'd consume more weed in the process.

@ stickstones > Took the DBV off the market (sold it back to myself so to speak) :p I
I think real men and women toke more than one vape. ;)

Pappy,

Bobbert

I think I will go with my instinct on this one. I did like the volcano but I don't think it is quite worth the price tag. I think the EQV will be a good medium between the volcano and da buddah. I have not heard many negative things about it at all on the forum. I don't like the looks of the log type vapes for some reason.

Bobbert,

Pappy

shmaporist
I vaped 2 grams today all in the name of science. :p All for you my fellow vapor enthusiasts. Baked a gram of newly acquired Sour Diesel in the cyclone bowl... 30 hits! I'm a trooper. :lol:

Pappy,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hey Pappy, same cordless phone as mine, and "sour diesel" which is abundant in my neck of the woods - you a Mets or Yankees fan?

jeffp,

Pappy

shmaporist
jeffp said:
Hey Pappy, same cordless phone as mine, and "sour diesel" which is abundant in my neck of the woods - you a Mets or Yankees fan?
Was raised in Brooklyn and made my bones in Manhattan but will never forger Pee Wee Reese Night @ Ebbets field. ;)

Pappy,
Top Bottom