**Ball vape comparison megathread** Compare your balls.

Which ball vape do you prefer?

• Flowerpot B0

Votes: 47 18.9%
  • Flowerpot B1

Votes: 70 28.1%
  • Flowerpot B2

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Old Head freight train

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Pinky

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • Qaroma Ceroma \ Quartz

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Qaroma Taroma 2 \ XL

Votes: 29 11.6%
  • DC ELEV8R with Rubies.

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • Cloud connoisseur Halo \ Atlas

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • DDave Extraction Contraption

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Jojofernz

I guess to put it simply, I'm after the closest thing I can get to the "Anvil of Ball vapes." (or anti ball ball vapes...)

The Anvil completely changed my vaping experience and got me off combustion for good. Whilst it gives some terp flavour, it's not what it does best - it's a face melting one-hit extractor. That's what I'm looking for in the ball vape, is a brain shuddering experience to run through the table top bong that I have on the way. Which is why as I've watched some videos throughout the day, I think I'm leaning towards the Screwball?

I know it’s quite a bit pricier, but if you really want those ultimate face-melting one-hit extractors, the flower kettle and electropath setup are out of this world. Love my anvil and how easily and heavily it can slap me around. The path and kettle are like that turned up to 10,000. Seriously the hits and signature they can produce are mind boggling and can completely knock you upside down. I feel that true hybrid heating experience is what brings out those powerful rips and not much else can provide that currently. The anvil, in my opinion(using xl bowl), also gets close to that hybrid experience a good mix of convection and conduction which leads to those huge intoxicating rips.

The price is quite up there but feel it’s absolutely worth it if you want the top of the line for being obliterated.

Jojofernz

That would be the alternative to the Taroma in that they both have that heavy conduction roast (use dependent of course)
Never tried but I feel the added element of the heated bowl electropath is what gives it the actual conduction needed for those true hybrid hits.

Jojofernz,
Reactions: AndyO

AndyO

I have the VerdaVap prototype :) I was using my 16mm Freight Train coil to heat if for a while *shrugs* using what I had while waiting for my Big Boy to arrive

I'm surprised you aren't looking at the Tornado?

its funny as soon as I saw "Anvil" I instantly went to the Taroma 360 as being the one I would pick for you. It's the same sort of extraction.

I love my screwball but based on that explanation I still pick the Taroma 360 - but - the Screwball is capable of similar level of extraction with preheating the bowl, but the Taroma and the Anvil were my pair for a while and they sort of taste similar.

The Taroma is also the better of the 3 (imo) for smaller doses - smaller amounts of flower, again the new screwball microdosing bowl I am hoping changes my opinion. The Taroma 360 bowl is 15mm and the housing surrounds the whole things, making small doses hit like I think you are looking for.

The little I have heard about it makes it a little different, but its still an unknown really :)

Thanks for all that man.

I'm a few days beyond having researched it, but when I looked at the Tornado about a week ago it wasn't clear to me exactly what it is. And I don't need an induction heater for my Anvil, so I was never interested in the Forge + Torpedo deal they offered. (I have a Yll2.0 for my Dynavaps that I only used for the first week or 2 that I had it, I liked the ritual and the added feeling of control over a torch.)

It's interesting you suggest the Taroma, from everything I've seen and read today the increased thermal mass of the gem-cut rubies and 25mm coil made the Screwball a more efficient extractor, while the glass bowl of the Taroma made it more suited to flavour chasing. Back to square 1 :(

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Never tried but I feel the added element of the heated bowl electropath is what gives it the actual conduction needed for those true hybrid hits.
Fair enough.

I find that with the Taroma, if I presoak the bowl and housing together at like 440f, and then add the herbs, its a heavy conductive hit.

Similarly with the Screwball, it totally possible - however because of the diameter of the Screwball bowl you use more herb or higher temps to get the same experience. I presoak the bowl in a 25mm axil Serpent coil (435f) before adding the herbs and then putting the heater on (490f)

Using those techniques I get the best conductive hits from those specific devices.

It's interesting you suggest the Taroma, from everything I've seen and read today the increased thermal mass of the gem-cut rubies and 25mm coil made the Screwball a more efficient extractor, while the glass bowl of the Taroma made it more suited to flavour chasing. Back to square 1 :(
I love my Screwball! The only problem is I find it hard to get good hits off the Screwballs bowl in half setting.

When I use smaller quantities of flower (<0.15g) the Taroma hits harder imo, which is why I suggested it because you mentioned smaller quantities - BUT - again - the Screwball with the new micro-dosing bowl hopefully will change that and make the Screwball the outright winner for me

The Screwball heater is more powerful than the Taroma heater. Undoubtedly - both in size and in the choice of gems.

The bowl diameter and the way you use it makes getting certian effects with smaller doses harder on the Screwball with the current bowl imo - thats all.

Last edited:

AndyO

I know it’s quite a bit pricier, but if you really want those ultimate face-melting one-hit extractors, the flower kettle and electropath setup are out of this world. Love my anvil and how easily and heavily it can slap me around. The path and kettle are like that turned up to 10,000. Seriously the hits and signature they can produce are mind boggling and can completely knock you upside down. I feel that true hybrid heating experience is what brings out those powerful rips and not much else can provide that currently. The anvil, in my opinion(using xl bowl), also gets close to that hybrid experience a good mix of convection and conduction which leads to those huge intoxicating rips.

The price is quite up there but feel it’s absolutely worth it if you want the top of the line for being obliterated.

The Kettle is probably getting a bit out of my price range - especially by the time it ships half way around the world. I don't think ball vapes are likely to be subjected to Australia's vape import issues, cos it's not obvious what they are, but I'd still rather get one locally if I can, hence tossing up between the T360, Screwball and Thermal Twist.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
The Kettle is probably getting a bit out of my price range - especially by the time it ships half way around the world. I don't think ball vapes are likely to be subjected to Australia's vape import issues, cos it's not obvious what they are, but I'd still rather get one locally if I can, hence tossing up between the T360, Screwball and Thermal Twist.
If I had to go back and buy just one it would be the screwball

AndyO

I have the VerdaVap prototype :) I was using my 16mm Freight Train coil to heat if for a while *shrugs* using what I had while waiting for my Big Boy to arrive

I'm keen to ask about this while I think of it - how did the VerdaVap go heating it with a coil? Did it feel like a natural way to use it when producing vapor? Did you have balls in the Freight Train head and use the injector head, or did you strip the housing off and just use the coil?

AndyO,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I'm keen to ask about this while I think of it - how did the VerdaVap go heating it with a coil? Did it feel like a natural way to use it when producing vapor? Did you have balls in the Freight Train head and use the injector head, or did you strip the housing off and just use the coil?
I have a deconstructed Freight Train Flower Engine (16mm coil and the rest in parts) and a FT Pro that's still together.

The construction of the VV isn't really made in a way that you can use the injector head on the bowl as the bowl is actually connected to the heat matrix / ball housing (version 1 eta end of April currently) so you can't use the injector head - the version 1.5 that is in development (eta mid may currently) that would possibly work as the bowl is externally screwed and 12mm in diameter

I tried the coil (16mm) as a way of heating the 14mm VerdaVap when I was trying the Wand to see if it was IH compatible.

You asked "did it feel like a natural way" not really... I suspect the Forge will be a better companion for it, something to try when I get a Forge.... but the the Wand took 2 cycles at 400c to heat it to proper temperature and the fit in the 16mm coil wasn't perfect so I was laying it in the coil at a angle, it worked but *shrugs* It didn't feel natural, it felt like extra effort (but that's just me)

dudeguy

@AndyO
I am in the same boat and decided on the Taroma360. Being able to micro dose and add more conduction than the Screwball made me go for it. Also the Screwball soon has some updated version coming and I don't wanted to buy something already "outdated".
The Thermal Twist is a convection injector so probably not what you are looking for. They are working on an diffuser bowl for more conduction though but no idea when/if this is coming so that's something to consider too.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Also the Screwball soon has some updated version coming and I don't wanted to buy something already "outdated".
Not exactly, there is a 20mm version, a wireless version (which maybe might be better than the Screwball) but I don't believe the 25mm is going to be replaced as such... please direct me to the place where I am wrong?

Taroma360. Being able to micro dose and add more conduction than the Screwball made me go for it.
This is why its still on my desk... its better at conduction + micro-dosing... and why I want the new micro-dosing bowl which hopefully isn't to much more expensive than the current bowl.

& I agree on the Convection bias of the Twist, the Screwball is built to be more convection bias than the Taroma 360 which is intended to be conductive/hybrid.

warren0728

so i picked up a ch b0 for 420 with a crossing technologies pid ... this thing really kicks my ass!

i have a question about the pid ...

i know the "up" and "down" arrows are for changing the temp but what about the "greater than" button and the "set" button? what are they used for?

also what does the "out (at)" light indicate ... should it be blinking the entire time the pid is on?

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and i'm sure it's a really basic question but i tried searching the web and couldn't find anything i understood!

pid-crossing-tech-front.jpg

Last edited:

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
so i picked up a ch b0 for 420 with a crossing technologies pid ... this thing really kicks my ass!

i have a question about the pid ...

i know the "up" and "down" arrows are for changing the temp but what about the "greater than" button and the "set" button? what are they used for?

also what does the "out (at)" light indicate ... should it be blinking the entire time the pid is on?

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and i'm sure it's a really basic question but i tried searching the web and couldn't find anything i understood!

pid-crossing-tech-front.jpg

dudeguy

Not exactly, there is a 20mm version, a wireless version (which maybe might be better than the Screwball) but I don't believe the 25mm is going to be replaced as such... please direct me to the place where I am wrong?

No I think I got it wrong. It's nothing big, only an update for the housing + a lid and a cosmetic change to the PID.

dudeguy,

warren0728

yeah i found that page but i don't really understand it ... was hoping for a dummies guide for explanations!

i'm not sure what autotunning is among other things ...

Shift key :Used to shift the digital when the setting is changed
and used to perform autotunning function

Set key :Used for parameter registration / calling up 6 Measured value (PV) display unit
@Out-Control output indicator
AT -Autotunning lamp: Flashes during autotunning execution

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
There is a thread here about those controllers.

Also, I have one but I've not used it for a long time. I believe the 'out (at)' led has 2 functions. In normal operation it lights when the PID activates the coil (normally flashing to some extent). In autotune mode it flashes consistently I believe.

AndyO

I have one more question I wanted to ask about Taroma 360 vs Screwball.

Do either of them require bowl stirring? I've been playing with a Flowerpot this afternoon, and that's a slightly annoying kink to it. With all my vapes (namely my TM2 I guess, as well as my EQ when I used it) I've tried to come up with hacks that stop uneven extraction, but obviously I don't have enough ball vape experience to know how to start doing that (yet).

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I have one more question I wanted to ask about Taroma 360 vs Screwball.

Do either of them require bowl stirring? I've been playing with a Flowerpot this afternoon, and that's a slightly annoying kink to it. With all my vapes (namely my TM2 I guess, as well as my EQ when I used it) I've tried to come up with hacks that stop uneven extraction, but obviously I don't have enough ball vape experience to know how to start doing that (yet).
No - neither of them do, for different reasons but no, you don't stir either of them

dudeguy

Taroma360 out of stock so I have to look for alternatives again :(. Is the conduction of the Screwball noticeable more pronounced than cheaper alternatives like the Zeal? I would use half-bowl setting as my tolerance isn't very high.

dudeguy,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Taroma360 out of stock so I have to look for alternatives again :(. Is the conduction of the Screwball noticeable more pronounced than cheaper alternatives like the Zeal? I would use half-bowl setting as my tolerance isn't very high.
I way to get the hit from the Screwball I want from smaller amounts by using the full bowl setting but pre-heating the bowl before I use it to maximize the radiant heat and conduction. I don't now the reason but conduction is a key factor for me when picking a device when using smaller doses, pure convection just leaves me bouncy and chasing the feeling I want from cannabis, It just eats through my stash without really getting the feeling I want... just my 2 cents.

in normal use without pre-heating, the conduction in the screwball is enough to avoid stirring and to add a little grounding to the convection.

dudeguy

I way to get the hit from the Screwball I want from smaller amounts by using the full bowl setting but pre-heating the bowl before I use it to maximize the radiant heat and conduction. I don't now the reason but conduction is a key factor for me when picking a device when using smaller doses, pure convection just leaves me bouncy and chasing the feeling I want from cannabis, It just eats through my stash without really getting the feeling I want... just my 2 cents.

in normal use without pre-heating, the conduction in the screwball is enough to avoid stirring and to add a little grounding to the convection.

Yes I also prefer the effects from vapes with more conduction. With my TM1 I just feel something is missing. Sad how limited the options for conduction hybrids are (at least if you don't want to spent $$$). It's pretty much T360 and maybe Screwball but the latter seems to be lacking in the conduction department yet offers more than Zeal or Termal Twist. I hope the micro dose bowl for the Screwball also has the potential to increase conduction.

The taste in the Screwball is better than the T360 I assume?

dudeguy,
Top Bottom