EcoSpheres! The worlds easiest aquarium

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Many years ago I discovered EcoSpheres in a small beachtown shop. These fully enclosed self-sustaining spheres contain algae, bacteria, and live shrimp (Hawaiian volcano red-shrimp) which can survive over a decade with nothing more than some indirect sunlight. No maintenance or care is required (aside from monitoring algae growth and adjusting lighting if necessary). Being a huge space geek, a fully self sustaining ecosystem was so fascinating to me, moreover the fact that this was initially a NASA inspired project makes it even more interesting.

While I couldn't afford one at the time, I never forgot about them! Finally last week I made the investment and ordered a Large sized EcoSphere of my own! I opted for the large size since there were quite a few more shrimp than most sphere's I've seen (hard to count, but I think I've got 13 shrimp in there, while the small size only holds four shrimp!)

I love medicating and watching my shrimp swim around and eating the algae.

Anyone else have an Ecosphere? How old is your's? What does it look like??

Iy4Le0j.gif

(Apologies for the grainy gif, I'll get some better still photos later)

Edit, still photo:
1bHZ9c7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Did you get yours direct online?
I bought mine off Amazon Prime :lol: it was immediately shipped priority overnight. Needless to say I was a bit apprehensive about shipping such a sensitive ecosystem through FedEx in the summertime.

Luckily while the shrimp were a bit stressed and pissed off, they settled down after several hours. Doesn't look like I lost any in the shipping

Got to witness my first molting yesterday. So glad I got a larger sphere with tons of shrimp to watch - so much activity always going on

PeteSeattle

I started out with an ecosphere. Now I have 3 aquariums. Is there such a thing "AAS" (aquarium ...)? Lol Though it digs into my funds for the rec shop.

Top Bottom