Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Vaporizing has to be the most efficient way to use herbal medicine. With no combustion taking place, the vaporized herb can be saved and used later, as it still contains some desirable compounds.

Edibles are always fun, here's a simple recipe for making cannaoil with your ABV. It won't taste as good as fresh but it still packs a punch.

ingredients.jpg

You'll need a brownie mix that calls for cooking oil, the basics for making brownies, something to strain with, and of course, the vaporized herb.

weight.jpg

I happened to have 17.3g (bag tared). Most recipes call for about 6 grams of fresh herb, with vaped herb you have to use more, as a lot of the good stuff has been vaporized. How much more depends on the quality of the herb and how thoroughly it's been vaped.

This batch was pretty strong.

volume.jpg

Or just over half a cup... 130ml to be more precise. This was a mix of maybe 20 varieties, all of decent quality.

mortar.jpg

You can grind up any small pieces of bud, using two bowls as a mortar and pestle.

canola-oil.jpg

This brownie mix called for 50ml (~1/4 cup) oil and 50ml water.

That wouldn't be enough oil for the amount of herb I had, so I exchanged the water for oil. Generally, you'll need at least as much oil as you have herb, as measured in a measuring cup. Try to get a brownie mix that calls for that amount. I used canola oil.

herb-in-oil.jpg

Warm the oil on low heat. I put my finger in it and it felt hot, but not burning. Be careful if you don't know your stove.

Stir in the herb. I threw in some stems for the hell of it.

Set a timer for 60 minutes.

simmering-herb.jpg

Gently shake the pan side to side to even out the mixture so that the all the herb is immersed in oil.

Very slightly turn up the heat so that you can see very small bubbles forming occasionally and hear a slight sizzle directly above the pan. You don't want to let it get too hot... a very light steam should be all you see coming from the oil.

Keep an eye on it, making sure it doesn't start bubbling any more rapidly. You can mix it around from time to time as well.

hot-cannaoil.jpg

1 hour later.

Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes or so.

straining.jpg

Straining out the herb:

Pour the mixture through a strainer. A lot of the oil is absorbed into the herb, use cheesecloth to squeeze it out. I had to improvise with a garlic press.

Make sure you figure out how you're going to strain it before you get to that point, things will go a lot more smoothly.

cannaoil.jpg

You'll lose a bit of oil in the process, some stuck the herb, and some because your stupid strainer didn't fit all the way into the measuring cup and you spilled some on the counter. :)

brownie-mix-cannaoil.jpg

At this point you just follow the directions on the box.

Most brownies are baked at around 325F (162C) and for vapor brownies I wouldn't go any higher. If the recipe says 350, ignore it, add a few more minutes to the cooking time instead... until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

vapor-brownies.jpg

I ended up with a dense and fudgey 21x21x1.5cm brownie which was cut into 9 pieces, working out to around 2 grams of vaped herb per piece.

I was going to try one right away, but all of a sudden I started to feel pretty good from just licking the bowl. :D

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Some more info:

How it works
From Wikipedia: Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active substance in cannabis, and other cannabinoids are hydrophobic oils, which are insoluble in water but soluble in alcohols, fats, and other oils.

In this recipe we're using canola oil to extract the desired compounds from the herb, heat is used to accelerate the process. The heat is kept low to minimize the destruction of desirable compounds.

Smell
Heating the vaped herb in the oil creates a noticeable aroma. Very noticeable. It smells pretty much like the vaped herb but much stronger. If you have an overhead range exhaust, you'll probably want to use it, otherwise the smell will linger for a day or so.

Potency and Effects
Eating herbed food is different than smoking or vaporizing. Instead of being absorbed through your lungs, the compounds are absorbed through digestion which takes longer. Many factors play a part in the process, such as the size and metabolism of the individual, as well as the amount of herb used. Effects can take from 20-100+ minutes to start and last from 2-8+ hours. Eating your goodies on an empty stomach should speed things up and increase the effects.

Because of the delay, it can be difficult to know how much you should eat. If you're inexperienced with edibles, it's advisable to start small and work your way up. That is, eat a small portion, maybe half a brownie and see how you feel for the rest of the day. Play it safe and make sure you're in a comfortable and safe environment for the duration. Too much can be overwhelming and not fun.

Leftover Strained Herb
Even If you do a good job of straining and squeezing the oil out of the herb, you can't get it all out. I was going to try some honey slides with the remains as an experiment, but I'm lazy and it'd probably be pretty nasty. :lol:

vtac,
Reactions: nihil

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
stickstones said:
how many pieces to get you rocked?
I knew they were fairly potent after licking out the mixing bowl. The next day, I ate half a piece on an empty stomach and was highly buzzed for the rest of the day. On the weekend a friend and I ate about 1 and 1/2 pieces and were thoroughly baked for 8 hours, at one point it was so intense I had to sit down. :lol:

The buzz is a heavy stone, very narcotic effect, especially at higher doses-- probably due to a high ratio of cbd & cbn. I'm sure it would be a great medicine for people who have trouble with pain and sleeping.

Update:
I'm still enjoying these. Amazingly, 1/8th of a piece is all I need to feel great all day. That works out to around 0.25g of vaped herb. Again, the herb was only lightly vaped and I have a very fast metabolism, but still, that's impressive.

Good medicine. :)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
That sounds AMAZING! I can't believe how strong they are...gotta make me some. I currently have about 1/2 oz of vaped herb. I'll probably wait for that much more again since I vape mine about twice as much as you do.

stickstones,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
nice vapor tactician ,
I have like over 60g of vaporized stuff and I was keeping it to cook with but I wasn't sure of how many gram of stuff to put in my brownies LOL ...nice thread !!

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Clear_Dome said:
nice vapor tactician ,
I have like over 60g of vaporized stuff and I was keeping it to cook with but I wasn't sure of how many gram of stuff to put in my brownies LOL ...nice thread !!
60g? Sounds more like a wedding cake. :lol:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ya know VT, after looking at your pics again, my vaped herb doesn't look a whole lot more used than yours. Did you get my pic of it I sent you? One problem is I am keeping it in a baggie and some of it is getting ground up pretty fine.

stickstones,

Squeeky

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this guide. The wife has never had edibles. We used 1/2 cup vaped commercial. Used and 8x10 and I planned on cutting into 10 pieces as you reported yours were very strong. Gonna wake up and eat one on my day off on an empty stomach. It's been years for me, so tomorrow is gonna be ripped and look at halloween customs day.

Squeeky,
Reactions: TomC1315

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Nice writeup vtac thumb

I got about an ounce of AVB waiting to be cooked up sooner or later.... :brow: I'll be sure to reference your article in making them, and report the results to everyone as well.

SpiralArchitect,

vaporGene

Why did you use canola oil instead of butter?

Is THC more soluble in different types of oils? i.e. unsaturated/saturated?

Nice touch on the pre-grind. I need to add that to my recipe AND we use the same brownie mix. Great looks!

vaporGene,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
cannabinoids are lipophilic, theyre soluble in all kinds of oils and lipids, canola oil was probably used because its heathier than butter

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
canola oil was probably used because its heathier than butter
You need to start a new line of research AZ. Canola, like the other seed oils on the shelves, is not the healthy alternative they'd like you to think it is. The food industry, like big pharma, is only interested in $$. I've been reading for years about what the food and drug companies don't want you to know. Mercola.com is a good starting place for anti-establishment health info.
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/conola.html

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
^

Word. My mom is a nutritionist and talks about 'conspiracy nutrition theorys' all the time. :lol: She despises energy drink and Gatorade advertisements. Such a fabrication (not to mention the shit is not good for you)....

On that note -- maybe (I'm not sure if this is the right kind of 'oil') you could use Hemp seed oil for cooking? :D It's pretty fatty, not to mention, hempy and healthy! :p

SpiralArchitect,
Reactions: Maitri

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
cannabis seed oil's protein is the easiest to digest phytoprotein out there, it should be on the shelf in every store!

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I much prefer extra virgin olive oil, but canola has a higher smoke point which apparently is a health factor to consider.

The butter and water method is great, I just felt like making some oil.

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
The problem with olive oil, as vtac says, is that it's not a good choice for higher temps. The best oil for cooking, by far, is virgin coconut oil. It was a favorite of the baking industry until erroneous research in the 50's declared all saturated fat to be bad for heart health. In fact (and studies support it), we need saturated fat in our diet, and coconut oil (non refined or expeller pressed) has been proven to be a heart healthy oil, even more so than olive oil. Unfortunately, since the seed oil companies jumped on the crappy saturated fat research in order to fatten their pockets, the production of virgin coconut oil turned into a cottage industry, and it's only produced by a handful of companies. It is available online from quite a few sources now, as the true info has been spreading in recent years.

"When researchers looked at the fatty acid composition of the phospholipids in the T-cells (white blood cells), from both young and old donors, they found that a loss of saturated fatty acids in the lymphocytes was responsible for age-related declines in white blood cell function. They found that they could correct cellular deficiencies in palmitic acid and myristic acid by adding these saturated fatty acids.

Most Westerners consume very little myristic acid because it is provided by coconut oil and dairy fats, both of which we are told to avoid. But myristic acid is a very important fatty acid, which the body uses to stabilize many different proteins, including proteins used in the immune system and to fight tumors. This function is called myristoylation; it occurs when myristic acid is attached to the protein in a specific position where it functions usefully. For example, the body has the ability to suppress production of tumors from lung cancer cells if a certain genetically determined suppressor gene is available. This gene is called fus1 and is a protein that has been modified with covalent addition of the saturated fatty acid myristic acid. Thus, the loss of myristic acid from the diet can have unfortunate consequences, including cancer and immune system dysfunction.

How much total saturated do we need? During the 1970s, researchers from Canada found that animals fed rapeseed oil and canola oil developed heart lesions. This problem was corrected when they added saturated fat to the animals diets. On the basis of this and other research, they ultimately determined that the diet should contain at least 25 percent of fat as saturated fat. Among the food fats that they tested, the one found to have the best proportion of saturated fat was lard, the very fat we are told to avoid under all circumstances!

These are some of the complex but vital reasons we need to include palm oil, coconut oil, butter and lard in our diets."
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/import_sat_fat.html

This is as much a truth as what we know about cannabis. That it's not the harmful drug that the establishment, both medical and legal, would have us believe. My health sermon for the day. :)

Squeeky

Well I made my brownies following the directions above. The process went well, however they were very weak. I use commerical grade ABV bud, sorry can't afford the good stuff. Plus with the Extreme other then the taste not a huge difference.

First off I split the batch into 10 pieces.

The first day my wife and I ate 1.5 pieces first thing in the morning on empty stomach, after about 2.5 hr the effects had taken place but nothing too crazy.

Next day I ate 2.5 pieces on full stomach, big mistake! It effects were much more limited and had a stomach pains late in the day. Although it could have been something I ate throughout the day.

Next time I make them I will mix 50/50 with ABV and commerc.

Squeeky,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
:lol: I thought that was required to know that on the admission tests to sign up here? JK dude

Hm, I now have doubts if someone is saying they are 'weak'.

I decided to snap a quick picture of my avb. This is it poured out on a sheet of paper. It's been grounded up to save space, but it is probably around an ounce. This is not 'lightly vaped' weed.

I'm sure it still has plenty of goodness, but I'm thinking I should just wait until I get a serious amount.

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Well, I'm currently in the process of making some butter...which will eventually find its way into some "vapor" brownies :brow:

I've never had luck with this in the past, so if any of you feel like sending some good vibes...tis the hour.

My "ingredients" were:

- 36 grams ABV (a mixture of PD and SSV remains...probably like 60%-40% PD to SSV, but I can't be sure)
- 15 grams of trim/popcorn bud (still nice and resinous, with a very "piney" odor)
- 1.85 grams of stem (I only recently started to collect stem...I figured it was worth a shot :shrug:)
- 454 grams of salted, fresh churned butter
- a big old stock-pot filled with filtered water

I'm doing this the easy way...just simmering some butter/water/pot in a stock-pot for a few hours, then I'll strain it and let the water and butter separate in the refrigerator. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible...but I'll say one thing, the basement smells a little too good right now...worried that I can't keep the temp low enough. I am really having to tend to this concoction quite carefully...oh well; if it works, I'm thinking it should be worth it!!

I don't have a camera ATM (hence why there's still no review on the KGP grinders), so no pics of the process...but I'll hopefully have access to one soon, and then I'll throw up some pictures of the finished product. Well...wish me luck! Can't wait to bake me some vapor brownies :brow:

Edit: Right, and I forgot to mention that I milled all of the Cannabis product into a very fine flour with my dedicated bud grinder (coffee grinder). This includes the ABV...so the final product was very, very fine. Hence, I'm not planning to use cheesecloth to strain...I figure it'll be messier than I need and I just plain don't care that much; I've eaten so much worse than some Cannabis flour in the quest to alter my consciousness. Besides...it smells delicious right now. I'll strain with a fine SS mesh, and that will get rid of any stem bits or whatever. That's good enough for me. Night y'all. Actually...I should really be saying morning...I'm waiting on both this stock-pot and the Sun now.

partially veiled,
Reactions: samantabha
Top Bottom