Vapman

coolbreeze

Surprisingly, my station seems to need higher settings on the dial for my Italian vapmans, but the Swiss ones work fine at the lower settings. It's the opposite of my expectations. I'm willing to bet there is enough variance in these handmade devices that each one could be unique on the station.
I think you're right. They work more similarly on the black station.
The Italian bowl is slightly heavier than the Swiss one. An Italian Vapman should drain more heat from the aluminium pole to get at the same temp than a Swiss unit. This is probably why it needs a higher setting.
This makes sense but I also wonder if it's not contact with the pan shape, too. I have one Italian model that just won't heat very well on the green station but goes gangbusters on the black one (the pan is slightly rounder with less of a point than some of the others). My other Italian models work fine on both, but slightly less aggressively on the green station at the same temp.

sansei

I'm not here for a long time, but for a good time
Surprisingly, my station seems to need higher settings on the dial for my Italian vapmans, but the Swiss ones work fine at the lower settings. It's the opposite of my expectations. I'm willing to bet there is enough variance in these handmade devices that each one could be unique on the station.
It does seem to me the denser heavier woods require a step up in temp to get same results on their less dense counterparts. This goes across Italian/Swiss. It also seems likes this on classic vs. pure. So I agree, each device does have its own nuances!

sansei,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
It does seem to me the denser heavier woods require a step up in temp to get same results on their less dense counterparts.
I'm surprised that wood would be a factor at all, since that's not involved in the heating process.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: sansei

sansei

I'm surprised that wood would be a factor at all, since that's not involved in the heating process.
Yeah, can't comment on the science of it, if there is any. May just be my perception, but I am definitely get different results across my vapmans using the same setting(s) on the station.

Radwin Bodnic

Is that a fact? What is the reason for it? I think I have to do a back to back comparison now :science:

Post from M&D :
yes the station will work with all vapmans :)
but it might be that you feel a little difference in the temp settings because the swiss bowl has a very slightly different weight, but it already affects the temp settings :)

It could be that they have different insulation properties ? This would also makes the Swiss vapman easier to heat since the bowl is closer to the wood / mica, therefore losing less heat in the surrounding air. And the mica is a very good insulator.

A Swiss classic (mica almost touching the pole) could probably run a lot lower on the station than an Italian pure. But the Italian pure is just easier to put on and take off the station, so all in all it's a matter of user preference.

186°

And today: learning physics with the Vapman :D
Yeah, I think it is all about the heat losses. I'd like to have a good infrared camera to see how the heat travels through the wood. There should be a vaporizer with such a feature (the infrared-cam), anyway.

sansei

And today: learning physics with the Vapman :D
Yeah, I think it is all about the heat losses. I'd like to have a good infrared camera to see how the heat travels through the wood. There should be a vaporizer with such a feature (the infrared-cam), anyway.
Ah, something I can finally use my FLIR on!!

sansei

This is by no means scientific, but the temp/heat discussion really made me curious. I tested an Italian in kotibe and a Swiss in grenadilla, both classic. Both were filled with .04g of the same flower and I waited for a bit of time to allow the unit to cool and start the heat cycle fresh. Unit was set at 4 and each temp was captured when green light came on.

First is the kotibe then grenadill

coolbreeze

Spring has sprung!
IMG-2118.jpg

malawigold

Landrace Advocate
I think you're right. They work more similarly on the black station.

This makes sense but I also wonder if it's not contact with the pan shape, too. I have one Italian model that just won't heat very well on the green station but goes gangbusters on the black one (the pan is slightly rounder with less of a point than some of the others). My other Italian models work fine on both, but slightly less aggressively on the green station at the same temp.
The Italian vapmans don't even work on the blue Station I 😆

hV1I7Q1.jpg
Have you gotten the Italian vapmans to work on your station I?

malawigold,
  • Wow
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Have you gotten the Italian vapmans to work on your station I?
The blue one is not mine, I just reposted it. I only have the black and the green. But you are having problems with the Italian Vapmans and the blue station? Do you see a difference in the shape of the cone between your Italian and Swiss models?

coolbreeze,

malawigold

Landrace Advocate
The blue one is not mine, I just reposted it. I only have the black and the green. But you are having problems with the Italian Vapmans and the blue station? Do you see a difference in the shape of the cone between your Italian and Swiss models?
Not a noticeable difference in the cone shape. For some reason the Italian ones just don't register. They don't go through the blinking heat cycling on old blue. Not a big deal I have a black and plan on getting a green.

malawigold,

coolbreeze

Not a noticeable difference in the cone shape. For some reason the Italian ones just don't register. They don't go through the blinking heat cycling on old blue. Not a big deal I have a black and plan on getting a green.
That's weird. Does it use the same IR sensor as the others? I've noticed a tendency for some of the Vapmans to lean very slightly to the right on the green station; for at least one of them, I can turn it and it will seat in a more upright position AND it will heat much better in that position. Another I have just leans in every position and consequently doesn't heat as well. Something is preventing full contact I believe but I can't tell what.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: passenger

malawigold

Landrace Advocate
That's weird. Does it use the same IR sensor as the others? I've noticed a tendency for some of the Vapmans to lean very slightly to the right on the green station; for at least one of them, I can turn it and it will seat in a more upright position AND it will heat much better in that position. Another I have just leans in every position and consequently doesn't heat as well. Something is preventing full contact I believe but I can't tell what.
No idea... I'll try again but I tried a few times and just ended up using the Swiss ones on it. Here's a Pic of two of them side by side for comparison. I think you're right the Swiss is a bit more pointy and might get better contact.
20240505-100722.jpg

ezpz

Something is preventing full contact I believe but I can't tell what.
I’ve been struggling with this also. My Swiss vapman sits crooked until I shimmy it on good. Comes off easily. My Italian vapman goes on good, but sometimes gets stuck while taking it off the station. I gotta rotate it to get it off. The “rotating” part leads me to believe that it’s not the poles of the VM pan getting stuck to the heater. If I rub my finger on the inside green panel, I can feel two nubs protruding slightly. Not sure if that’s the reason or not, just my lackluster theory. Thoughts?

Edit: Please don’t try to feel the inside panel when station is hot. I already made that mistake once.:doh:

passenger

is this thing on?
I just used my italian olive Vapman fpr the first time on a station, the blue station, and it worked fine. It maybe heats up a little slower and needed one cycle more than I'm used to, but can't tell for sure after one round. But, it worked very well and tasty at 3.5.

Hagbard

hi guys,

i know it was discussed already a few times but concerning the flaking of the mica my vapman 2.0 does this as well. i noticed some small glittery particles around the wood and after brushing it and blowing over the top there was definitely somewhat dusty and glittery particles flowing through the air. when touching the edges where the wood meets the mica i noticed also some of those mica particles on my fingers...

now that the air intake of the pan are lying directly on top of the mica layer it's unavoidable that these small particles would get through it. i thought they advertised it as non flaking mica. but its clearly not and there is definitely something dusty being released.

is it really safe to say that there is no harm to expect when using the device? is the exposure so little that this could be considered irrelevant?

what's your thoughts about this?

and maybe @vapman could share their thoughts on this topic as well again? especially the non flaking part...

Slide-Easy

hi guys,

i know it was discussed already a few times but concerning the flaking of the mica my vapman 2.0 does this as well. i noticed some small glittery particles around the wood and after brushing it and blowing over the top there was definitely somewhat dusty and glittery particles flowing through the air. when touching the edges where the wood meets the mica i noticed also some of those mica particles on my fingers...

now that the air intake of the pan are lying directly on top of the mica layer it's unavoidable that these small particles would get through it. i thought they advertised it as non flaking mica. but its clearly not and there is definitely something dusty being released.

is it really safe to say that there is no harm to expect when using the device? is the exposure so little that this could be considered irrelevant?

what's your thoughts about this?

and maybe @vapman could share their thoughts on this topic as well again? especially the non flaking part...

I have noticed the same thing even on some that are unused. Mica is not stable. But, I love my Vapman and use it about 20 times a day, every day.

Spring has sprung!
IMG-2118.jpg

Those Lady-Slippers are pretty when you walk up on them...You see Indian Pipes in that area later in the year?

coolbreeze

I have noticed the same thing even on some that are unused. Mica is not stable. But, I love my Vapman and use it about 20 times a day, every day.

Those Lady-Slippers are pretty when you walk up on them...You see Indian Pipes in that area later in the year?
We do see them there. Gorgeous eastern bottom-land.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: NYC_Frank
Top Bottom