Thermal Accumulator by phattpiggie

SockPuppetTheatrics

Few pics of the Dovetail stem that arrived yesterday :rockon:Excellent craftsmanship, lightweight feel, and stays really cool to the touch. The draw is a bit different since the XL condenser isn't long enough to mate up with the bottom of whatever tip you put on. I'm guessing some of the vapor hangs around down in there until you release the carb to force it back up and through :hmm: I have a cooling spiral for the condenser which is sliding back and forth cause of this. Thinking that might eventually stick in there with some resin buildup.

Some pulls with the Hookahhead wpa last week when feeling the TA out :tup:: CC Protege THG Shredder
The Rogue Wax Works has some longer cooling spirals with an extra bit jutting out at the end - look for the E models - available from his site or from vgoodiez; those might help reduce the sliding around.

TedJones

The Rogue Wax Works has some longer cooling spirals with an extra bit jutting out at the end - look for the E models - available from his site or from vgoodiez; those might help reduce the sliding around.
Thx, yea that’s the one I’m using which prevents it from sliding through the end and into my mouth. It only falls forward about a thumb’s width until it hits the bottom of the screen, which I can tolerate. It is stuck in there now with some sticky ;)

Radwin Bodnic

Until now I was heating to a nice cherry, using it as a visual indicator.

Using a medium flame, this time I stoped heating when the Ti was just turning dark red, waited maybe 20s, and heated it again for maybe 15s.
I think it did a better heat soak of the thermal matrix but with a lower peak temperature.

A half bowl provided a lot of thick vapor. A reheat has been needed to finish the bowl but the duff was much more even than usual and the taste really evolved nicely during the whole sesh'.

Efficiency really is superior compared to when I cherry the TA.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Until now I was heating to a nice cherry, using it as a visual indicator.

Using a medium flame, this time I stoped heating when the Ti was just turning dark red, waited maybe 20s, and heated it again for maybe 15s.
I think it did a better heat soak of the thermal matrix but with a lower peak temperature.

A half bowl provided a lot of thick vapor. A reheat has been needed to finish the bowl but the duff was much more even than usual and the taste really evolved nicely during the whole sesh'.

Efficiency really is superior compared to when I cherry the TA.
I have to admit I flux between a hot quick heat and a slower lower heat with my TA's depending on what I'm chasing at the time. I usually like to just hit it for 15 second with a big flame, cherry it and walk off... but I agree that using a smaller flame and not quite going for the cherry is a very efficient way of using it and has better flavour across the whole bowl; where sometimes the hot/cherry can get really popcorn/toasty when there is still some vapour left to be had.

I've been using the Forge for the last 30 hours or so and I have been heating much lower, closer to the bowl and at the moment I have set the Forge up to cherry the TA in about 10 seconds... only problem is that the TA3 sometimes causes my Forge to overheat and stop working for a few minutes from cold. Its always the TA3 causing the overheat. Heating the middle is a little more risky than heating the top but I haven't had it go sideways yet even on a reheat.

As for TA cooling, if you take the cap off and set it aside it cools pretty well without help - but the magsink makes it such that you can back to back bowls within a minute. I have scruffywoofer heat sinks and the magsink ... the magsink is much better at quickly cooling the cap, so I usually put the cap on the magsink and put the bowl in the scruffywoofer heat sink - separately they cool much quicker.

As a user of both the OG TA and now the TA3 - I simply do not find cherrying the tip of the TA with a big torch to get the best possible results and fully extracted AVB. You also miss out on some of the more heavy effects this thing is capable of.

Which is odd, as most people seem to recommend blasting the living hell out of it with the biggest torch they can find.

I mean, it looks cool and gives a nice convection hit, but the TA can also slap you with hybrid power if you heat it the way I do. I only ever have perfectly even dark brown AVB and a very sedating, heavy high. It hits as hard as my anvil can for sure, with better flavour.

I only ever use a small quad jet pocket torch with mine. I will torch it right next to the point where the cap thickens to match the diameter of the bowl. Maximising the conduction to the bowl whilst still heating the ball matrix. I’ll do 10 seconds, then spin and torch the opposite side for another 10. I then move the torch right up to the tip of the cap and count another 10-15. Throughout the bowl I’ll give it a few 3-5 second “top ups” around the lowest point if needed. Mainly just to let the conduction heat even out the roast and really get those “heavy” effects.

This technique is very consistent and controllable, and is how I prefer to hit the TA the majority of the time. Also uses less butane and heating time thanks to the added conduction. Highly recommend giving it a try, even if you still prefer the convection hits it’s still a nice trick to have up your sleeve.

Of course, I also appreciate a nice terpy convection hit and I’m glad the TA can do both on demand. It’s a truly versatile device!

Rodney

As a user of both the OG TA and now the TA3 - I simply do not find cherrying the tip of the TA with a big torch to get the best possible results and fully extracted AVB. You also miss out on some of the more heavy effects this thing is capable of.

Which is odd, as most people seem to recommend blasting the living hell out of it with the biggest torch they can find.

I mean, it looks cool and gives a nice convection hit, but the TA can also slap you with hybrid power if you heat it the way I do. I only ever have perfectly even dark brown AVB and a very sedating, heavy high. It hits as hard as my anvil can for sure, with better flavour.

I only ever use a small quad jet pocket torch with mine. I will torch it right next to the point where the cap thickens to match the diameter of the bowl. Maximising the conduction to the bowl whilst still heating the ball matrix. I’ll do 10 seconds, then spin and torch the opposite side for another 10. I then move the torch right up to the tip of the cap and count another 10-15. Throughout the bowl I’ll give it a few 3-5 second “top ups” around the lowest point if needed. Mainly just to let the conduction heat even out the roast and really get those “heavy” effects.

This technique is very consistent and controllable, and is how I prefer to hit the TA the majority of the time. Also uses less butane and heating time thanks to the added conduction. Highly recommend giving it a try, even if you still prefer the convection hits it’s still a nice trick to have up your sleeve.

Of course, I also appreciate a nice terpy convection hit and I’m glad the TA can do both on demand. It’s a truly versatile device!

I know exactly what you mean by the cherrying as when I did that with my massive torch I do not get amazing results. I prefer to very rotate the TA as fast as i can and let it all heat up even.

See the whole cherrying thing is ok if you take time to cherry it but blasting it full power for too short a time makes not as good results.

I know exactly what you mean by the cherrying as when I did that with my massive torch I do not get amazing results. I prefer to very rotate the TA as fast as i can and let it all heat up even.

See the whole cherrying thing is ok if you take time to cherry it but blasting it full power for too short a time makes not as good results.
Agreed. I find the key to best results is getting the heat nicely spread around the bowl and heater. As opposed to one extremely hot spot.

I actually found the TA kind of underwhelming before I moved onto the quad torch and really sat and thought about how the heat needed to flow to get that evenly roasted load I desired.

The bowl and heater being physically coupled is just asking for some conduction heating anyway IMO ;)

Sativapo

It's a matter of preference. I get quite sedative effects but I try to have the less conduction possible while also finishing with very dark brown uniform abv. It will take me about one more heat cycle than a more conduction heating closest to the bawl.As just said there is conduction anyway the bowl is burning hot.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
As a user of both the OG TA and now the TA3 - I simply do not find cherrying the tip of the TA with a big torch to get the best possible results and fully extracted AVB. You also miss out on some of the more heavy effects this thing is capable of. Which is odd, as most people seem to recommend blasting the living hell out of it with the biggest torch they can find.
Agreed. I find the key to best results is getting the heat nicely spread around the bowl and heater. As opposed to one extremely hot spot.
I hear what you are saying, I don't like heating the bowl directly but I hear what you're saying about heating & effectiveness.

I see the TA as having multiple different ways to use the device, just like the TM2, there's a more "on demand" quick technique and a "session" style technique and they both have value in different situations.

I like to heat the top with a Big Buddy to cherry as a "on demand" type of session, where I want to be able to heat quickly and then do something with the TA in my hand or mouth. It's not the most effective use of the TA and you can end up with uneven AVB - or sometime a scorched top if you push it to far - but its very - very convenient.

Yea I’m finding both large & smaller flames working well :tup: I like using a big one with a larger rig, good diffusion, bright glow. Here’s a run with a smaller flame, slight glow, and dry :nod:
This is kind of what I was going to say.

If I'm sitting down watching TV or something, I will do a more "low and slow" approach, I'll use the Stingray or Firefox, I'll drop the flame down to about 2/3 or less and I'll heat the top 2 thirds, I'd hit the device for a while and then add some heat again and that would end up being more even and consistent AVB without the top being darker.

I have been trying to find the sweet spot for the TA's in the forge, both the "On Demand" idea of a quick large heat and "Session" the low and slow approach.

When I am doing a single heat with the TA4 I'll set the wagon wheel to the highest and run a 3000@100%... this can end up with that uneven top you get from the same sort of single heat with the Big Buddy torch.

So I'm trying to work out what "session" heating is going to look like for me on the Forge... I am playing with with doing double heat's, starting with 2550@100% and then adding a second 1100@65% as the Forge makes controlling the amount of heat your applying very consistent, so layering is easier to control.

This is that double heat I was talking about...

Top Bottom