• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Growing 1 million pounds of organic food on 3 acres with AquaPonics

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
Aquaponics is a sustainable food production system that combines a traditional aquaculture (raising aquatic animals such as snails, fish, crayfish or prawns in tanks) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water) in a symbiotic environment. In the aquaculture, effluents accumulate in the water, increasing toxicity for the fish. This water is led to a hydroponic system where the by-products from the aquaculture are filtered out by the plants as vital nutrients, after which the cleansed water is recirculated back to the animals. The term aquaponics is a portmanteau of the terms aquaculture and hydroponic.
Aquaponic systems vary in size from small indoor or outdoor units to large commercial units, using the same technology. The systems usually contain fresh water, but salt water systems are plausible depending on the type of aquatic animal and which plants.[citation needed] Aquaponic science may still be considered to be at an early stage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics

This sounds awesome for food and herbs!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AquaponicsHere's a video:
How 1 MILLION Pounds Of Organic Food Can Be Produced On 3 Acres.

This technology proves GMOs and pesticides are not necessary to "feed the world" as the BioTech giants like Monsanto claim.

sublimationpurist,

Nosferatu

Wow, thats crazy, I hope this is implemented on a larger scale, but for gods sake it needs to stay organic, there is no reason we need EVEN MOAR FOOD than this can produce. We need to say bye bye to gmo's and all that shit before we permanently ruin the genes of some of our major crops. Good thing organic farmers will soon be able to sue farmers who's gmo seeds blow over and cross polenate with their crops.

This is so cool, I have seen similar sytems like this, but this guy is producing alot(even selling to grocery stores) and it seems like this is finally getting attention!

Nosferatu,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I used to work breeding shellfish so like this idea, but I don't believe it will be a wide scale solution to 'feed the world'. There're only relatively few species of plant and fish are suitable to grow together, and even then it's often walking on a knife edge to keep the water quality right for each species. To expand and try and do this at scale is hard even with chemical intervention. To do this organically on any kind of a globally meaningful scale is to all intents and purposes impossible IMO, at least with our current knowledge. (also I think some organic definitions exclude hyroponics on principle, regardless of nutrients used- I think the premise is that a plant should naturally grow in soil)

And even then, not all that many fish are happy to survive on worms fed by compost. Most fish thrive on other fish based foods (traditionally peruvian anchovy were used, and other industrial fish meal species)- this is a pretty NATURAL diet for farmed fish, but it's inefficient in terms of converting biomass (we'd actually be better off eating the anchovy and industrial fish species ourselves- it's a far more efficient use of protein- but they're not so tasty). We're working on other vegetable based aquaculture foodstuffs, but it's feeding the fish a very unnatural, man made diet and we can see imperfections. What to do?

So really unless you're prepared to be less selective and start eating the narrower range of species grown, rather than choosing from the wide range of produce that we currently have to offer (which perhaps won't facilitate maintaining a healthy, carefully balanced vegan lifestyle), then I don't think it's going to offer that much of a panacea to our food production problems.

But it has to play a part- it's daft not to use aquaculture 'waste', when it could be used as plant food for certain crops.

WatTyler,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
What is the cost of this compared to regular farming? Also how many acres would it take on a regular basis to grow a million pounds of food?

I would think you would run into major issues when scaling this up much larger.

Tea Party,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Check out how this couple turned an unused swimming pool into a solar powered, aquaponic greenhouse. Incredible. This is from National Geographic's show "Doomsday Preppers":

Self-Sustaining Suburbia
Dennis McClung has created a self-sustaining garden out of an unused pool in his backyard. If the end of days ever comes, he'll be all set.

t-dub,

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
I'm uninformed and haven't done my research on implementing this on a large scale. You can also grow algae in your fish tanks for some fish food, but fish need more than just that to eat.

Tea Party It would probably be more expensive to setup initially, but once it's setup should be inexpensive. As long as you maintain the bacterial balance of the water, it's very inexpensive to maintain, you only have to feed the fish. No pesticides to buy or weeds to pull.

Vertical Space is the biggest reason that guy was able to grow 1 million LBS of Organic food on 3 acres.

Cool video t-dub!

sublimationpurist,
Top Bottom